SailNet Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow, what a fun day! Spent 6 hours stuffed into the corners of my Shark 24 cutting out all of the bulkheads. If you haven't been in a shark, well, they are made for sailing, not for interior comfort, so i really have a sore back now!

Plan for tomorrow night is to get in there with the grinder and grind off the tabbing I was not able to cut away. Boy, am I looking forward to that! Unlike most boats that are this size (24 feet) a Shark has 2 sets of bulkheads. Oh boy, am I ever lucky, that way I get twice the work! Oh yeah, and it requires twice the amount of insanely priced plywood!

This is the second boat that I have replaced the bulkheads on, so I know what I need to do, and it is wayyyy less intimidating this time around. When I redid my first boat last year, I was really apprehensive about doing the repair job, but on this one it is just a matter of setting aside the time and putting in the work. At least the worst part of it is over, I did get a bit nervous when i was lying on my back kicking the bulkheads out after having cut away all of the tabbing. Boats made in the early 60s were made to withstand some serious punishment, I guess epoxy and plywood were significantly cheaper back then, the tabbing on my main bulkhead was 1/4" thick!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Polyester or epoxy

Have fun! We had to do such a repair on our first boat (also a Shark) but got away with only the forward of the two center bulkheads. We had already bought boat #2 and had to make the Shark sale-worthy.

btw - unlikely that the Shark was tabbed with epoxy - it would have been polyester resin. Hopefully you're planning to use epoxy this time around.
Looks like they used polyester on the main bulkheads and epoxy on the forward sections. I plan to use epoxy and 10 oz cloth. How many layers of cloth did you put on the main bulkheads? I am planning 4, is that enough do you think?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts