SailNet Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Old enough to know better
4,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK I looked at a nice Rival 34 the other day. I really like it, but have a few concerns. It is tiny inside, but will do what I want. I will be living aboard alone and in a few years here in New York, then take off for some cruising including some blue water. I may head out to Hawaii, as I have family there. This boat is set up for some serious distance cruising, and has been nicely refit. In fact it is likely the best maintained boat I have seen in my price range. She has a wind vane, and tiller pilot. I am a bit concerned about the sailing qualities. I have only read really glowing reports from owners but can't find much objective about them. I imagine she will take a bit of wind to go. Looking at the hull she does seem to have a bit of IOR shape, as in a very narrow stern and I am a bit worried she might be squirrelly down wind. It has a fairly long fin keel, so I am not sure. I understand she is an old design coming from the Rival 31 modified to the Rival 32 and stretched into the 34. The other issue is that she has teak decks. There were apparently some spots popping up but he has replaced a good deal of the teak. It does not appear that there has been any leaking from it. So my two concerns are the teak decks and the sailing performance. I am not looking to race, but more looking for a stable boat. I don't want a slow boat either though.

They seem to have a big following in the UK, but not many of them here. I will be getting a survey if I decide to go that far.

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
I doubt the IOR had much to do with the Rivals. They were designed as fast cruisers more than anything I think. Not a lot different to the Nicholson 35 in many ways and probably the Nic's competition in the market at the time. Here are 2 links to details, first the 32, then the 34.

Archive details - Rival 32 - Yachtsnet Ltd. online UK yacht brokers - yacht brokerage and boat sales

Rival 34 archive details - Yachtsnet Ltd. online UK yacht brokers - yacht brokerage and boat sales

I used to buy Yachting Monthly regularly in the 70's and always liked the Rivals.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts