SailNet Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
"wooden liz'n"
6 Posts
A sailor out there with Ranger 8.5 (build in Kent WA) experience ? Have not had a chance to speak to any one experienced with the R 8.5. She is frag. rigged PHRF 180 to 192. Sailed her for 2 summers now and had "sweet" success with WARHAWK last season.
Gerard

·
"wooden liz'n"
6 Posts
Thanks Loren and mine obviously is the Kent WA Ranger 8.5 with modified Choate 27 lower hull redone by Karl Schumacher. (i believe this was his first job as an independent Navel architect)
Awesome that you know Warhawk from it's earlier days racing the PNW, she has been in the Okanagan now for almost three years. The Ranger 8.5 is a great racer/daysailor and can sail to it's numbers, however for some reason it is a little sticky between 4.5 to 5.7 knots of hull speed and it takes every little tweak not to lose "ground". Once at 5.8 knots of hull speed (about 9 to 10 knot wind) she moves really nice, points well and wins races.
I have done as much research on the boat as I can, including speaking to the now very mature, production manager at the time and have a number of component drawings (sketches with measurements), which can be shared.
Hope another Ranger 8.5 skipper out there will respond.

Cheers, Gerard

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.