SailNet Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
A sailor out there with Ranger 8.5 (build in Kent WA) experience ? Have not had a chance to speak to any one experienced with the R 8.5. She is frag. rigged PHRF 180 to 192. Sailed her for 2 summers now and had "sweet" success with WARHAWK last season.
Gerard
The OP seems to be referring to the Ranger Yachts 28 (Mull), Not to the Ranger 8.5 (Schumacher), from Ranger Fiberglass Boats in Kent WA. At least that's my take on it.

Different boats with nothing in common.

I remember Warhawk from the good old days, when I used to own and sail Ranger 20's and 24's. I had friends that raced and cruised their 8.5 Rangers.

Only odd thing about threads like this is framing the question around "racing" or "cruising" when in actual fact either of these boats makes a nice small (and fast!) cruiser. There is a Ranger 28 (Gary Mull designed) in our YC for a couple of decades, and it's a very good sailing boat.

Loren

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Just as a word of caution. Looked at a Ranger 28 and at first glance I was ready to write a check. Closer inspection found extensive soft decks. All the life line stanchions and bow pulpit had developed leaks and rotted out the deck core. The guy selling the boat, not the long time owner, seemed to intimate that that was a common problem with the boat. Boat had had very little use and spent most of it's life on a trailer somewhere in the mountain states. The moisture for the rot came from rain water.
Are you describing the "Ranger 28" from Ranger Yachts in California?
If it's the Ranger 8.5 built by Ranger Boats in Kent, WA, they did a very good job fitting out their boats and there should be no moisture problems from the factory's workmanship.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.