SailNet Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While drifting in a light air outside the harbor, I saw two boats cuff this rock. One, a small sail boat bumped over, the second a forty or so footer, doing like 5 knots stopped dead backed off then hit it again. If your approaching the harbor from the south, give it a little room.

Attachments

·
Banned
8,867 Posts
While drifting in a light air outside the harbor, I saw two boats cuff this rock. One, a small sail boat bumped over, the second a forty or so footer, doing like 5 knots stopped dead backed off then hit it again. If your approaching the harbor from the south, give it a little room.
We fished in BC waters, inside & outside for many years. It always amazed me to see wash rocks way off shore. Like the one you showed, they were on the charts, which we always used. Many/most broke only at low tide.

Big change for us in Northern California waters where the Farallone Islands were about the only thing you can run into after leaving shore.

Apparently the two boats you saw didn't have charts or didn't look at them.
Kind of like jumping out of an airplane without a parachute. :D

Paul T

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
Rocks like that are the bread and butter of local shipyards.Some boaters can save money using a dual purpose Rand McNally road atlas. Shows the Walmart camping lots and easier to read than a real chart (would be funny if it weren't true). Used to live on the point there where Krumpucker boomed his logs.and that rock was lots of entertainment.

·
Banned
8,867 Posts
In addition to the wash rocks, There is a HUGE amount of big logs & other debris in the water up there. I hit one, fortunately square on, running back to the lodge, at about 20 knots, in a chop with the sun right in my eyes, did a perfect jump, just like jumping a water bar on a dirt bike.

One morning, while running out, we watched one of our boats running behind us hit a log at about a 45 degree angle. The boat came out of the water sideways, threw him to the other side of the boat, but he stayed inside. Luckily he had the kill switch lanyard on and the boat stopped. At sailboat speed they might not bee so bad, maybe except in the dark?

Paul T

1 - 4 of 4 Posts