SailNet Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

Will a rocna anchor fit on any/most boats? I am considering a Westerly Centaur 26 and only want a Rocna...I'm a novice when it comes to owning my own boat. Any thoughts appreciated. Hope I'm posting in the right spot!

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
The Rocna will will fit most boats that don't have a bowsprit that is not what I would call "captive". If there is nothing that will interfere with the roll bar on the anchor you should be fine. I have never deployed a Rocna but have heard nothing but good things and when I find my next boat I will have one on my bow.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
19,485 Posts
We went from a CQR to a Mantus (similar in shape/size to Rocna, with a roll bar) on a typical 80s racer cruiser. The plow part of the Mantus nests in tighter to the hull than the CQR did, but the roll bar clears the pulpit fine. I have a slit piece of hose tied to the bow that I slide over the edge of the plow that wants to lay alongside the hull to protect the fiberglass. Very happy with the performance of the Mantus (from which you could remove the rollbar if there was serious interference - unsure how that would affect how well it would work) The rollbar on the Rocna/Mansons would only be removable with a zipcutter.

Our bow entry is quite narrow, unlike the Westerly so you may have a bigger issue than we do depending on the bow roller design.

·
Master Mariner
9,208 Posts
When we had a CQR on the bow roller we could keep a second anchor beside it. Going up one size to a Rocna 88# we can no longer keep a second anchor on the roller, but I can't imagine needing one for day to day anchoring.
In the end we'll trade the Bruce (which has never even been in the water) and the steel Danforth for an F-85 Fortress and we'll be down to four complete anchor set ups from five. Just think of all the weight we'll save and extra space we'll have in the lazarette!

·
Registered
277 Posts
The Rocna has a much large shank than Mantus and older anchors like the bruce. Most anchor rollers with a pin to hold the shank will not line up so a hoop or other restraing device is needed to keep it in place if you bury the bow. On my boat the shank will not clear the furler either since it is mounted low to the deck.

Many manufactures have printable templates that can be helpfull to figure out clearence issues.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.