SailNet Community banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a small fiberglass repair to finish soon. Cabin top under/around the mast step. While this slightly˜raised area gets virtually no foot traffic; I'd sooner not use anything that might need touch-up in a few years, forone *and* when I do the rest of the top, I'll prolly doitin gel..so...compatability with gel is at issue.
With thecostof premium two-part such as it is; I can buy "X" times the amount of gel coat.

Can , as the title asks, gel be (successfully/efficiently?) rolled and tipped? Better to simply add a few layers w/a fine roller and sand smooth to buff out?

TIA,
Paul

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
For Gelcoat repairs - do it right! ... and with little MESS. Such is easy to learn, easy to fill and then spray a gelcoat overcoat using a fillable 'aerosol' sprayer **. If carefully done, even by a DIYer, can be a quite satisfactory repair.
** Preval Sprayer
When spraying, get your gelcoat 'premixed' for spraying ... directly from a gelcoat supplier.

One of the best 'techniques' for DIY gelcoat repair: "Professional Gelcoat Repair Without a Mess" (DVD) - John Gabriel Boatrepairvideos.com | Fiberglass and Gel coat Repair To 5 Star Quality

1 - 2 of 2 Posts