SailNet Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have done a lot of looking and can't narrow down the type roller covers for applying Epoxy Barrier Coat. Everyone agrees Solvent resistant and shed free, but can these be purchased at Home Depot or Lowes - if so what exact product? Want to know what you've used successfully !
Only found one (Mohair) which says anything about Epoxy, most of the Wooster and Purdy high end say ALL latex and oil based paints. I want to buy local if possible so I can return but Don't want to spend a lot and then find them falling apart or leaving fibers in my EXPENSIVE epoxy. Thanks in advance .

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
I have always used west system or Jamestown Distributor's covers. I used a big box cover, ONCE, for epoxy and it was way more problem than it was worth. The box cover was labeled and such for
"epoxy"...but it did not last more than a few minutes, and I spent the next few days sanding out the after effects.

bite the bullet, this is not a place to skimp,

but if you do buy local, I would test one in a small batch on some cardboard or old car part to MAKE sure it holds up for the time you think you will need plus 5-8 minutes.

·
Bombay Explorer 44
3,619 Posts
Over the years I have used foam rollers from a wide variety of sources and all have been OK PROVIDING I did not add acetone or meths as thinners.

Warm the resin mix if you need it thinning and use slow hardener.

·
72 C&C Corvette
318 Posts
Just did a barrier coat on my C&C last year used a 4" foam roller purchased from hardware store. Turned out great with no complaints.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your advice. I Applied 4 coats of Sea Hawk Tuff Stuff Epoxy barrier coat and two coats of Sea Hawk CuKote Ablative bottom paint this past weekend (after 15 days of hard work removing and filling and fairing lots of serious blisters in my 1987 Hunter 28.5. Roller cover issue question was answered thanks to your help and confirmed by this process.
The plain 3/8" x 9 inch foam rollers from Home Depot work great, do not break down and carry a reasonable amount of paint. I used one roller cover for each coat. Cost about $2.50 each. They do not leave a particularly smooth finish but the one high end "fuzzy roller" I used for a few minutes didn't either. (I was too busy or lazy to do any tipping). I do recommend having someone with a small brush to go ahead of you on each coat getting paint and epoxy to flow into inevitable small porosity pinholes - its a pain but it will get em filled much better than trying to do it with the roller.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts