SailNet Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, for months the main sail roller furlered in the mast, just like if it were at a boat show. First, we are fortunate to have a very used but beautiful 42' 1980 Vagabond ketch with furl main sail into mast. I guess the last time out it was blow'n 20-25 knots, a good wind to sail this beast. And , at the end of the sail rolled the main into the mast. This past Sunday the wife an I went out again in maybe 12 knot breeze, she at the helm and me up by the winches, pulling out the main, only after coming out about 10% she stopped, solildly stopped. Rolling it in an then out again - just 10%-again. Looking up the mast, its easy to see the jammed uneven sail folds blocking the thin slot it comes out of. I sent my 56 year old, 110lb wife up on the bosun chair- i didn't have a camera- to beat it up as best she , pushing it in and then me, below, pulling on ropes in an out. no luck. I brought her down. she stopped drinking the rum an coke- said she was a little sea sick.
Has others had this problem, not the sea sick wife, its about the stuck sail. the main halyard is as tight as its going to get. we ended up going back to the mooring. I've got to go out this week to the boat- good excuse- an get that sail out , somehow.
thanks, all!

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
On our maiden sail on my Beneteau 343, the main sail jammed in the mast roller furler about 70% of the way out. We tried rolling it in, then bringing it out but nada. My friend suggesting letting it luff, so we pointed into the wind and sure enough...the snag freed up. Not sure that this will help you, but who knows?

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
sounds like the sail has bagged out and is in need of a recut or replacement. Can't help on the 'how to get it out'. Do you know the brand of furler? The manufacturer or a authorized shop may have some suggestions.

If it's an EazyFurl, call Mack Sails in Florida. Great people.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! Two good suggestions. I hope it blown this week so I can maybe shake out those folds in a stiff breeze. I'm not even sure what make the furler is but Mack sail is down here in Sturart, fl. , close by.
thanks again
chuck

1 - 5 of 5 Posts