SailNet Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Catalina 25 that I am trying to get into better shape. I have been around boats for a long time, but sailboats are new to me. One of the projects that I have is to get the roller furler in better shape. It works, but a combination of ill sized rope and a cracked furler drum make for rough operation.

See pictures below - best I can tell, it is an old CDI furler, but I could be totally wrong. Any ideas what make / model it is? Are replacement parts / drums available still? Would some of the newer drums be compatible with the existing forestay track?

Absent of a cheap replacement, I plan to repair it with a combination of JB Weld marine epoxy, with drywall tape sandwiched in between. I plan to clean everything real good with soap, water, and alcohol, then use compressed air to shoot the JB Weld into the cracks as best as possible. I will clamp everything into place while it all sets. Then, I will scuff out the outer portions of the drum (that don't affix to the forestay, or come into contact with rope) with sandpaper, then apply the JB Weld / drywall fiberglass sandwich on top, as reinforcement to the crack repairs.

Does this repair sound like it might work reasonably well? Any tips or additional steps that will improve the process?

Attachments

·
Registered
1981 Endeavour 32
1,060 Posts
Have you checked with a local welding shop to see what it would cost to have the crack welded? I wouldn't have much confidence in the JB weld, myself.

Here's a link to a site with info on how to make your own furler in case you can't get yours back in operation:

Joel's Navigator Site: How to build a roller furler for under $40

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When both of you mention welding, what do you mean? Maybe I should have mentioned, the furler drum is plastic. I have heard of people using soldering irons to heat the plastic then jam them together, but i think that would be difficult in this case given the nature of the cracks, and would likely deform the part.

·
Registered
1981 Endeavour 32
1,060 Posts
When both of you mention welding, what do you mean? Maybe I should have mentioned, the furler drum is plastic. I have heard of people using soldering irons to heat the plastic then jam them together, but i think that would be difficult in this case given the nature of the cracks, and would likely deform the part.
Oh.....thought it was metal from the pics. If that's the case you're probably better off getting a whole new drum. I doubt you'll be able to bond the plastic across the crack successfully.

·
Registered
765 Posts
From the pics, I also thought it was bronze. My CDI furler drum is plastic so I thought yours must be really old. Buy a new drum from CDI, they are not too expensive. I lost mine overboard (dont ask) and had to replace it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts