SailNet Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Possibly improving
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a quote for a 6.5 oz dacron sail with hanks on luff for $695 to replace my torn genoa. The price is much lower than other quotes. Anyone ever bought sails from this maker before?

Thank

·
Courtney the Dancer
3,971 Posts
Lots of threads on this subject.
I've bought two sails from them, rf staysail and a rf genoa, both are excellent (offshore). A lot of people are scared off by the low prices and feel that having someone do the measurements for them is worth doubling the price. I would rate the RT sails that I have right up there with any of the expensive local loft sails that I have looked at. RT makes a lot of sails for other brands, huge manufacturing facilities.

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
I mentioned I have a cruising main from them and that I got quoted an excellent price of 1100 for a cruisng 135 dacron genoa for my islander 36

best price by far even compared to the cheaper called sail manufacturers like precision or whatever.

go for it!

·
Irrationally Exuberant
1,460 Posts
I bought a new main for my previous boat from Rolly Tasker using Dirk in Florida and was very happy with it. You'll need to be sure of your measurements is all.

Reactions: christian.hess

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have been to the Rolly Tasker sail loft here in Phuket many times as they also have a pretty good chandlery. I did get a quote from them for a new suit of sails but they were unwilling to do many of the customizations that I needed, eg, a rope luff flattener for the genoa (they only do foam). They would not come to my boat to measure for new sails even though it was only a few miles away. I suppose if your sail requirements were very basic they might be a good choice for the money but I elected to purchase our new sails elsewhere, the higher cost notwithstanding.

Fair winds and calm seas.

·
Registered
729 Posts
I had excellent experience from Rolly Tasker. They provided a staysail with a single reef and a loose footed main with some detailed requirements like an over the top leech line allowing the leech to be tensioned from the mast rather than hanging over the side at the clew. I think it was Maine Sail who spoke highly of Dirk and that was a very good advice.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have a set of Tasker sails on my current boat. They are the Offshore version. They appear to be holding up fairly well after 8 years. The leach on the genoa and main are stretched out and the leach lines use the small clam cleats which I dislike since they never seem to hold.

I tried to discover what sailcloth was used and if you delve into their web site, they use different grade cloth for their Standard, Coastal and Offshore sails. . If you go to the Mack Sails site there is an excellent description of sail cloth.

Sail Cloth

I have had Mack Sails and the construction and cloth differences are pretty obvious. But may be overkill compared to Standard Tasker Sails.

The real problem is comparing apples to apples given variances in sail cloth and construction techniques. What I like about Tasker sails is that you know where they are made and can choose what level you need. It all depends how you are going to use your boat and for how long you intend to keep it.

In short you can not go by price alone. A lot of research is required to determine what best meets your needs.

Good luck in your search.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.