SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Rookie Mistake

2K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  Cruisingdad 
#1 ·
I walked away while filling the water tanks. And I didn't come back.

*sigh*

I guess we get to look into that cool new flooring we've been talking about.

11 years living aboard and the last time this happened was the day we took possession of our very first live aboard boat. Total rookie mistake.

I posted some pics on our blog (link below). I am hanging my head in shame.

Discussion starter · #4 ·
ooops....why don't you have a deck fill instead of using the inspection port???
We have a deck fill, but it really requires two people (or one who isn't getting interrupted constantly by a 5 year old) because we have no way of monitoring when the tank if full from up on deck except to run down and in and check the inspection port and then run back up to turn off the hose. So we started just filling from the inspection port to save on the back and forth.

The carpet was trashed (old and funky anyhow from years of having a dog aboard). I ripped it our before my husband got home and mopped everything up.

Discussion starter · #6 ·
Here's the deal with our overflow vent scenario.

On the starboard side we could use the deck fill rather than filling from inside, but our overflow is a tube under the bathroom sink, still vents inside but the bathroom has a floor level drain to sweep water in to. We could be T'd into an existing outlet, or it could be put into another dedicated through hull above the waterline fairly easily. The only time that the overfill would come into effect though is when you're filling up from above the water tank (at the deck) and then the water would basically squirt out the vent tube in the bathroom. We usually avoid all this mess by just WATCHING the darn thing. I goofed and walked away.

The port side though we had to sacrifice the deck fill water because of the larger refrigerator (there was no room to put in the refrig and keep the water lead). So we have to use inspection hatch for the port side. And if we're using the inspection hatch then it's impossible for an overflow valve as you are filling up the tank directly at tank level, it would never go up and out the tube. I guess it's possible I could put in a new water line from a different place on the deck to reach that port tank...but frankly the more lines there are with water leads the more opportunity for leaks and other things.

So that's our story...

Does it make a lick of sense?

Discussion starter · #9 · (Edited)
Cruisingdad - those boys are about as cute as they come! Are you all on board full time? I wish we had more kiddos around here in the Chesapeake. Our little guy has tons of friends, but mostly land lubbers. ;)
Thanks for the kind words about the blog! I wish there was a place on the web for boating kids. There's a somewhat inactive yahoo group and a completely dead kids aboard web site. We need to make a place...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.