SailNet Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Read Only
87,689 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am installing new clutches to handle 5/16" halyards on a Frers 33. I am partial to the lewmar larger size, but they seem to rate safe working load lower than the spinlock XT model. Anyone out there have experience with either clutch??

·
Super Moderator
Farr 11.6 (Farr 38)
10,827 Posts
Reaction score
I have had nothing but great results with the Spinlocks. The Lewmars are popular on race boats but I have found them a little more prone to slipage. The Spinlocks may have a little more chafe but I have gotten 15 years out of my halyards with the Spinlocks so I am not complaining.

Jeff

·
Super Moderator
Farr 11.6 (Farr 38)
10,827 Posts
Reaction score
Oh yeah- you may want to also look at Garhauer. They make a very well designed product that seems to be reasonably priced.
Jeff

·
Registered
734 Posts
Reaction score
Don''t even consider anything less than the best. Practical Sailor rated the Lewmars the best at minimal slipage, line chafe and the ability to bleed line through the clutch. I replaced all of the clutches on my Sabre 34 a few years ago with the Lewmars, they function perfectly, are easy on the lines and available in single, double and triple configurations.

·
Read Only
87,689 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have Spinlocks XTs and have found them to work well. I Like the Idea with the Spinlocks that I can replace the cams for the smaller Hi Tec line without replacing the clutch. My experience with chafe problem is I end up replacing Halyards because of problems some else other then the clutches area .Antel also make a good clutch.
Bill S

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.