SailNet Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am re-installing my wind transducer and noticed that it might need some maintenance due to salty conditions. Any advice on type of maintenance I should perform?

Thanks,

·
Registered
476 Posts
Nothing beyond the good practice. Clean it, avoid water, use Isopropil alchool (or similar non water based contact cleaners). Lubricate the mechanical spinning axes with a dry chemical like Sailkote, and make sure it spins freely. If going aloft, take the time to inspect your VHF antena. What else ?

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Be aware that Isopropyl Alcohol has a fair amount of water in it. While it is good for cleaning, water would work as well in most cases. Fresh water isn't likely to damage the rotavecta.

·
Registered
476 Posts
SD, the Isopropyl (or 2-propanol C3H8O (H3C-HCOH-CH3)) commonly marketed in the market, has in fact less than 1% of water, and that's why it's the first choice when cleaning internal electronics. Quick evaporation also contribute. Chances for oxidating any metal based component is almost zero.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rotavecta Reinstallation

I re-installed only to find it did not work. Apparently it was damaged when dismasted and I need to change the transducer. Checked the Raymarine site and found that I could use the D240 replacement kit, but that covers only the cup and vane. What actually is broken is the receptacle where the integrated circuit resides.
Do you know if I can buy the transducer only, i.e. without the display?

Thanks,

Nothing beyond the good practice. Clean it, avoid water, use Isopropil alchool (or similar non water based contact cleaners). Lubricate the mechanical spinning axes with a dry chemical like Sailkote, and make sure it spins freely. If going aloft, take the time to inspect your VHF antena. What else ?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts