SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
One of None
8,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As we don't have a woodworking section, I'll put it here in off topic.

Some of you may have seen the photo of the type bench I hope to build with free beech lumber I have on hand.

this is the first glue up of the 2 6'6" x 12" wide slabs. HARD HEAVY LUMBER!

The split top design will allow me (with help) to run it through the thickness planer and save hours and hours of this;
scrubbing the top with hand planes to get it smooth. It is possible.. just time consuming!

The Someday photo hopefully will look like this one. which is in maple.

I'll update this as time goes by and the project progresses!

·
One of None
8,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Avenger! This mortise and slide dovetail has me wondering if I should even try to make. It's certainly not necessary for the legs, but "show off" joinery should part of the build I suppose.

·
One of None
8,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
For years and years I've seen the method of using hand planes to true and flatten a table top. About 2 weeks ago I "tuned" my old hand planes and really sharpened the blades. In the forefront is a "junk" Buck Bros plane from home depot I bought about 20 years ago LOL even that works well.. Top is actually "good enough" but I'll get a friend to help send it through the planer.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I'm jealous. Would like to build one of these someday, although probably not the split top.

My understanding is that the Buck planes are pretty junky. I have #4 and #5 Stanley Bailey planes from the 1920s, and they work well with sharp blades. Suspect you would want a #7 or #8 for that job though ...

·
One of None
8,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Have a Dewalt 12.5, will take about 10 mins to get it right.. I did want to try by hand. I'm pretty pleased how easy it was all considered. My arms should stop hurting by Sunday LOL

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
Denise, beech lumber is notorious for strong warping property even with air humidity changes over the season. I would make sure all surfaces sealed very well. Beech wood is very beautiful but it requires special care.
The bench looks awesome!

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
I have some old growth white oak lumber I saved from an old house that used to be on my property. That is beautiful wood when cleaned up and re-finished. I have used it over the years in various projects and just love it.

·
One of None
8,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I love quartersawn. need to make a leaf for this old table. "someday"

Veneer like that is hard to find. and it has to be like 4" wide strips book matched.

Update 4/15/14 I did find 1/4 sawn oak veneer that has the same look as the table.

·
One of None
8,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Back "half" of the Bench top oiled!

I'm tired LOL

·
One of None
8,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
One of None
8,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks! It's taking waaaaay longer then I thought.. but it's not like there is a deadline to build a bench I don't need LOL

·
One of None
8,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sorry I moved some around on my account, didn't know they would be deleted here. .

·
One of None
8,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Oh My! Preview of the 2 tops side by side with tool slot. Looks better then my dining room table!

·
One of None
8,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Building legs out of 2x8s and will have 2x6 stringers here's 2 on the bench as you can see, I'm already making the tail vise a best friend! 3/8" round nose bit to make the legs "pretty"

·
One of None
8,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sexy legs!

Thinking of maybe cutting a shallow arch in bottom of all the stringers. Maybe even the leg bottoms so there's not a whole 4X7 Leg end wicking moisture from the floor. To keep it all tight and "portable" 3/8 all thread rod will be imbedded in the side stringers that may or may not have a shallow mortise and tenon. Left front leg doesn't have grooves but the leg vise will carry the theme on it's front. Tops of legs and bottom of the table slabs, I may use a "block" tenon. make a plywood jig to rout 2 X 5 mortises in the leg tops and table bottom. I don't want to go through the table top with mortises even though the traditional benches use them.
So... it's coming along!

·
One of None
8,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I was actually thinking pressure treated plank pieces on the bottoms.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts