SailNet Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am sure I am not alone on this forum when I say that I support the RNLI...

This year (in an attempt to continue to raise money for the RNLI) I will be walking around the Isle of Wight. To make it slightly tougher myself and one other sailor will be conducting the walk carrying all we need to survive for however long it takes. It is approximately 70 miles, we will be living on dried food and sleeping in bivvy bags.

Having sailed the route many times I am looking forward to seeing things from a different perspective. I am not a particularly experienced walker and at the moment the task seems quite daunting. I hope that we can average 20 - 25 miles a day; I will certainly be conducting a few training walks before July!

I have set up a Just Giving account: Peter Green is fundraising for RNLI - Royal National Lifeboat Institution

At this stage I would be VERY grateful for either some words of support, some words of advice or even better a small donation!

Many thanks,

Pete

·
Registered
23,884 Posts
I'm not familiar with your cause, from this side of the pond, but hope you are successful.

A long march is all about your feet. Clean and dry, with properly fitting boots that have good support. Change your socks during the day. Some will rub a little lubricant between their toes to prevent blisters, I prefer powder on my entire foot. Best trick I ever learned was to wear an extremely thin pair of moisture wicking socks underneath your more padded hiking/boot socks. This way the socks rub together, before your toes or heel rub the sock causing blisters.

A good pair of hiking poles makes a huge difference as well.

All the best.

Reactions: Halcyon1

·
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not familiar with your cause, from this side of the pond, but hope you are successful.

A long march is all about your feet. Clean and dry, with properly fitting boots that have good support. Change your socks during the day. Some will rub a little lubricant between their toes to prevent blisters, I prefer powder on my entire foot. Best trick I ever learned was to wear an extremely thin pair of moisture wicking socks underneath your more padded hiking/boot socks. This way the socks rub together, before your toes or heel rub the sock causing blisters.

A good pair of hiking poles makes a huge difference as well.

All the best.
Thank you for the advice - much appreciated!

The RNLI are a much loved charity amongst us Brits...

The RNLI is the charity that saves lives at sea

Volunteer crew members go out in all conditions; we are very lucky to have this kind of rescue service in the UK.

Pete

1 - 3 of 3 Posts