SailNet Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Admiral gave me a hand-made canvas ditty bag for Christmas. She left the rope-work part to me, figuring I'd like to do my own rope-work. She had found this knotwork site that discusses traditional ditty bags, and this image: http://www.frayedknotarts.com/images/cyderigged/bagtoplg.jpg

I like those doubled grommets and the way the rope-work around the top of that ditty bag is done, but where to get those round thimbles? (Google has again provided a wealth of completely worthless references.) Anybody have any clue? Doing my own measurements, based on about 1/4" between grommet edges, I need about 1-3/16" to 1-1/4" thimbles to achieve the desired effect. The grommets I have a simulated (I assume) "antique brass."

Also: If anybody has any idea how that rope-work through the grommets and around those thimbles was done, I'm all eyes :).

I'm beginning to fear I may have to start hanging-out on macrame sites :p

Jim

·
Registered
695 Posts
That looks like a stamped grommet. Canvas and boat shops have grommets and tools to stamp them. Seattle Fabrics out here specializes in this stuff Grommets and Snaps. You can get around thimble also called a sailmaker's thimble at..... a sailmaker's loft. Sometimes boat stores have them. I've only used them with rope, not fabric. They're preferred over the teardrop thimbles for making up lazyjack s.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Duckworks at Small Craft Advisor Magazine. Port Townsend, WA, USA, has round thimbles....Tell them Emiliano Marino from The Artful Sailor sent you!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Brass round thimbles? Duckworks at Small Craft Advisor Magazine! Tell 'em Emiliano Marino sent you and check out The Artful Sailor on Facebook and the ditty bag in The Sailmaker's Apprentice.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts