SailNet Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got and 81 Cal 2-25 with rubrail replacement needed and so far, everyone in sailnet is telling me that Steve and Seals/Spars is the only one that can find them for me. He called from Calf last night and confirmed that he is the only one that can get them for this boat because they are very specific. And at $613 and an installation that I'm unsure of, I'm quite down and wondering if anyone knows any other rub rail that might work - West Marine says no, Defender isn't clear and doesn't seem sure in their answer. Need to know for sure before I start cutting or have someone else install. Any advice out there? - Steve - Lake Champlain, Vermont

·
Old as Dirt!
3,487 Posts
I PM'd you on this but---Steve's got the market on the rub rail and a close match is about the same cost and doesn't work well anyway so you might as well get the right stuff. Installation is a no brainer. Remove the end caps on either side of the cockpit and the screws on the bottom of the rail from stern to bow. Lightly sand down any rough spots on the rail, and then, start the new rails at the bow and work them aft carefully. (A little SailKote on the rails and on the groove in the rub-rail will make them slide along more easily.) Mark the location of the screw holes in the rails on the hull below the rails with chalk or water soluable marker (use a square to get them centered). While the screws are self-tapping, I found that pre-drilling a very small pilot hole in the rubber made the whole business a lot easier. The job is more easily done while you're hauled out but it can be done in the water.

Once the new rails are installed, wipe them down with 303 once a month and they'll last virtually forever.

FWIW...

s/v HyLyte

·
Registered
433 Posts
I PM'd you on this but---Steve's got the market on the rub rail and a close match is about the same cost and doesn't work well anyway so you might as well get the right stuff. Installation is a no brainer. Remove the end caps on either side of the cockpit and the screws on the bottom of the rail from stern to bow. Lightly sand down any rough spots on the rail, and then, start the new rails at the bow and work them aft carefully. (A little SailKote on the rails and on the groove in the rub-rail will make them slide along more easily.) Mark the location of the screw holes in the rails on the hull below the rails with chalk or water soluable marker (use a square to get them centered). While the screws are self-tapping, I found that pre-drilling a very small pilot hole in the rubber made the whole business a lot easier. The job is more easily done while you're hauled out but it can be done in the water.

Once the new rails are installed, wipe them down with 303 once a month and they'll last virtually forever.

FWIW...

s/v HyLyte
Sounds like some very good tips in that advice, I used Simonize tire protectant on mine just to make the black shine and give it the wet look, never thought of the 303 but I did think about how much I would not like to do a replacement job.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts