SailNet Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am re-fitting a 1972 Balboa 20 (can you say classic plastic?). I need rudder mounting hardware and, as usual, am trying to minimize expenses. I am considering Racelite SS pintles and gudgeons from Duckworks.

Racelite 1/2" Pin Heavy Duty Pintles & Gudgeons - RL-790

She is 20 feet long and displaces 1700 pounds. I will keep her on a trailer and un/install the rudder every trip, so it will get regular inspections. What do you think?

Edit: I sail in the Mississippi Sound off the coast of Mississippi.

Thanks,

Tom

·
Registered
209 Posts
The pintles look identical to what i have on my rudder on my Balboa 20. The original gudgeons are still on the boat. Were the gudgeons missing when you got the boat? If you need a pic or measurements let me know.
Steve

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Steve, thanks for the quick reply.

My boat has a gudgeon with a matching separate pin on the upper transom and a solid mounted pintle on the lower transom. So, the rudder will need gudgeons on top and bottom. The lower rudder gudgeon will fit over the lower transom pintle and the upper rudder gudgeon will mate with the upper transom gudgeon via the separate pin.

The pins are 1/2" diameter bronze.

I took some pics but can't figure out how to post them.

Tom

·
Registered
209 Posts
If you need any more help, i can pm you with my contact info. I just finished repairing my boat, and would love to see/hear more about yours. Still have yet to sail her. Been too busy and it is driving me crazy!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts