SailNet Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,
I'm new to Sailnet and sailing in general.
We have a beautiful 1984 C&C 29 MKII.

Late last season I began getting a vibration in my rudder as well as a faint thumping noise during tacks and turns.

The boat is on the hard. The radius, cables, chain, sheaves, rudder post etc all look great from below. I've greased the rudder post.

Unfortunately, turning the rudder manually results in the same rough turn throughout the entire rudder arc in both directions. The thumping noise persists.

I'm thinking bearings of course but has anyone in this forum encountered these symptoms and can you please share your solutions?

Thanks
Steve T.

·
Master Mariner
8,204 Posts
If the boat is on the hard, why not get a professional to take a look? It's pretty hard for us to imagine your problem w/o turning the rudder personally.

Reactions: 82Vanner

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well that certainly makes a lot of sense.

I have had a few people take a quick look.
Everyone has said if "lubricating the rudder tube doesn't correct it... (tube/rudder shaft was very dry), the rudder should be dropped"

I guess that's my next course of action. Just hoping to avoid the additional work. I'll post the results. Perhaps take a few pictures.

Thanks for your input and advice! Truly appreciated.

Steve T.

·
Registered
845 Posts
The bearing should be changed. The most difficult part is dropping the rudder. You either have to dig the ground under the rudder or raise the boat with a crane. The rest is easy.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi there,

Thank you everyone for your help!
I do believe that the rudder must be dropped and the bearings replaced.

On my C&C 29 MKII, the top of the rudder extends through the cockpit sole....conventional and "normal".
The rudder is retained and kept from dropping with an un-threaded nut through which two set-screws are passed and which capture the top of the rudder by screwing into two machined indentations in the rudder shaft. The collar and shaft turn as one unit.

Directly below the radius is clamped conventionally to the rudder shaft. It appears as though the lower "Clamp" part of the clamp comes into direct contact with the fiberglass rudder post through which the rudder shaft goes......it appears as though this is the weight or, load bearing component of this otherwise conventional steering set-up. There is no rubber "Boot" or mechanical seal at the top of the post. There does not appear to be a nylon or plastic type bearing/bushing either.......as there is at the bottom of the boat where the shaft exite and rudder proper begins.
I've seen generic photos of similar steering systems but not of this particular system. No details in my original manual, nothing on-line.

I'm kind of wondering if there is supposed to be a nylon spacer under the un-threaded nut at the top of the cockpit sole. It would act as a bearing and also "lift" the shaft 1/16- 1/8th inch. It would get the weight of the rudder/radius etc off the top of the fiberglass rudder post......I'll still replace all of the bearings......but I'm wondering If I'm missing the top bearing/spacer.
I guess I'll have to persuade another MKII owner to let me dismantle the top end to have a look.....unless any of you guys have experience with this.

Thanks!
Steve T

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you SeaStar58!!

The washer solution just came to me as I was writing the last post. The fact that there isn't one beneath the retaining ring seemed odd to me.
I'll be on the search for material. If it ever stops raining/snowing in Nova Scotia, I might actually be able to get sailing. We had a great winter here but we're
paying for it now.

Truly appreciate your help!!!
Steve T.

·
11,751 Posts
Thank you SeaStar58!!

The washer solution just came to me as I was writing the last post. The fact that there isn't one beneath the retaining ring seemed odd to me.
I'll be on the search for material. If it ever stops raining/snowing in Nova Scotia, I might actually be able to get sailing. We had a great winter here but we're
paying for it now.

Truly appreciate your help!!!
Steve T.
Join and post the question on the C&C owners forum.
We have a spacer on our rudder post. Sounds like bearings to me

Dig a hole under the rudder (3ft) and drop it. That way you can look at the whole assembly
BTW the C&C owners forum also sells detailed manuals for each model

South Shore Yachts works on C&C and has many parts. Some of their technicians used to work for C&C

C&C Yachts - C&C Photo Album & Resource Center

·
Registered
3 Posts
When on the hard can you shake the rudder side to side? Our 1981 C&C40 had no unusual steering feeling or sounds but when sleeping in the stern berth the rudder thumped as the boat rocked. There are no rudder bearings but simply the stainless steel rudder post inside the fiberglass tube which acts as a bushing, the top of which is above the water line. West systems manual shows an example of how to repair worn bushings and it has worked very well. We did this repair 10 yrs ago and it's still sound with no play.

·
dadio917
326 Posts
on our valiant with a skeg there are 3 "bearings". Metal at the top or the rudder shaft and metal at the bottom of the skeg. There is another that is not accessible inside a fiberglass "cone" that comes up from the hull. That one is a hard plastic-like "bearing" is water lubed and more as a guide than mechanical support. Above that is a packing gland. The plastic-like "bearing" is never meant fail but could if abused. It could also possibly become driy(er) if the opening is gunked up. The packing gland could also need replacing and is easy. you might use a stethoscope to see if you can isolate where the noise is coming from.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everyone for your valuable help! I dropped the rudder and made new bushings for the rudder post. I also made a spacer for for under the retaining nut.
After re-assembling, the rudder was tighter but the travel was still rough throughout the entire arc. Soooooo, everything was dissassembled again. I had a machinest friend have a look at thr rudder tube. Apparently it had gone out of round. A jig was constructed and the tube was slightly bored out and slightly oversized bushings were used at reassembly. It is perfect and sailing was (of course) fantastic last season. Thanks everyone!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts