SailNet Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everyone, went down to the boat today and noticed the rudder has a deep crack running down 60% of the rudder on the shaft side. if I had it pointed to run straight its right inline dead center. glad I caught it while shes on the hard as it could have broken off real easy. how difficult is it to repair such a thing or is it better to just build a new one?

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Diverdad-

When you have a repair question like this, it would probably be useful to mention what kind of boat it is on, don't you think??? The make and model of the boat will often affect how difficult a repair or replacement of a rudder will be to do. It will also affect part availability... Getting a replacement rudder for a Catalina 30 is probably a good deal simpler than getting one for a Nightwind 35...

Asking questions without providing the necessary and relevant information generally gets poor answers... I would highly recommend you read the POST in my signature since it says a bit more about how to write a good opening post. :)

·
moderate?
1,000 Posts
Diver...Water intrusion into Irwin rudders is common. The issue is not the crack...but the integrity of the underlying metal. You should drop the rudder and peel it open to insect and or rebuild the internal grid, then rebuild/reglass the rudder.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the advice, i was planning on doing just that. has anyone ever made a stainless rudder? does it have to be foam filled? just curious.... its coming off tomorrow

thanks again
Diver

·
moderate?
1,000 Posts
Should find a stainless post with welded grid/frame attached...enclosed by foam and covered in glass. Don't go solid OR stainless. Stainless is not good or full time underwater. Just fx it up and put it back in the same manner.

·
Grasshopper
908 Posts
You could check out Foss Foam Products of Florida ,Inc. , they've been making rudders since 1978...and they might have made your rudder.

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Cam's correct about the problem and the resolution... and going with a solid metal rudder is not a great option on a boat the size of yours.. :) DO you have any idea how much it would weigh, even it it was mostly hollow???

Usually, the area most susceptible to rust and problems on the rudder stock/web are the welds, since welding generally makes the metal more prone to rusting there. Check the welds very carefully.

Also, notice that you got a much better answer once you said it was an Irwin 28. :) Without knowing it was an Irwin 28, there was no way to know what the construction of the rudder was.

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Diverdad-

I would highly recommend cutting open the rudder and inspecting the rudder stock and web since there appears to be some corrosion staining visible in the cracks in your photos.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok i skinned it, what a ***** it was wow so now guess what i found... its not filled with foam but a dence like ceramic, epoxy resin material thru the whole rudder chips like glass or stone so im going to let it dry for a few days or weeks then not sure what, jb weld? the pieces back on the reskin.... any suggestions ill go take a few pics and add them to the bucket with in 30 minutes thanks everyone so far

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
pics are loading now, as i found out more , looks like bad corrosion on the shaft, possible fracturing by the pintle area there are some picks that show use of a wire wheel on it to clean it up. looks like i might need to make a new rudder

·
All For Me Grog!
60 Posts
I had a 1969 Morgan 24, had a similar problem - also we hit bottom and bent it. Cut it apart to inspect, heat the shaft, bend back straight and reglass. It appeared that the rudder shaft had been bent/straightened before. The core of the rudder had the same kind of hard "chippy" filling you described. After all the work everything appeared back to nomal. A year later, while at sea, the rudder fell off and sank. Somebody later told me that heating stainless ruins the anti-corrosive properties. I've also been told if there's rust from cracks on stainless it's no good and needs to be replaced.
After all that I went to FossFoam (newrudders.com) and they made me a foam filled replacement that worked better than the original. Since they have positive floatation, they actually help lift the stern a bit. I would say your best bet would be to replace anything that old/damaged

·
moderate?
1,000 Posts
That filler slurry in your rudder is the same stuff they used in your keel it may be concrete amalgam or fer-a-lite type filler. I thought you would have metal degradation. Rumhead can respond...but as I recall, a fossfoam rudder will set you back over $5k which probably is a major portion of your boat's value. Better to get a local machine shop to either repair or duplicate the metal structure and then do the necessary glass work to put it back together.

·
All For Me Grog!
60 Posts
Back 8 years ago the Foss Foam rudder was only about $500 - I'm sure price have gone up since then. They do have tons of molds and can make mods to anything to match your old rudder. Good folks too.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thanks everyone, as far as having a machine shop build one i can do that myself so basically use the old skins fill it with foam and reglass? or should i use that glassy material you were talking about? anyone know where i can get the foam for this or the other types of material?

·
All For Me Grog!
60 Posts
Newrudders.com has "how it's made" pics on their website. Pretty sure you have to use closed cell foam or it will suck up water. BoatUS online has a Evercoat two part expanding foam kit.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts