SailNet Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My rudder looks like crap on my 37' Irwin. I was going to swap it out with my neighbors 37' Irwin, but if he ever found out I'd be toast. So it looks like I'm stuck and will have to repair it.
Last year I smoothed most of it out, then bondo'd the gully's and faired it out. Son of da beech if that didn't seal the sucker up tight ad a drum, cept for the hole somewhere at the top. The water sank to about a foot above the bottom, froze, which expand3ed it and cracked it in a straight line from front to back on one side.
The water drained out. I called Foss and they told me what to look for and it appears it's their rudder. They told me I could remove the outer skin and reglass it and it will be fine. Other "people" said why bother? Fill in the crack and go sailing!
Votes needed as to what to do.
The future...I would like to sail to the Caribbean in a few years, so I figure I either fix it right this year, or pay the piper later on. Oh yeah, I sail in Lake Erie. And the foam appears to be in good shape...Foss told me if it's mostly all together, I could fill in the divots and gaps to fair it out, then glass it.

·
Salty
106 Posts
Seal the crack and keep her in warm water! It almost sounds as this reply could fit another thread.... ;-)

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
The question is how much is the rudder's internal structure damaged? If it isn't then closing it up and re-glassing it isn't an issue...but if the interior web or stock is corroded, it may need replacing. You really should take it apart and inspect it all.

·
Old as Dirt!
3,488 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm learning:
Foss rudders need to be white so as to not absorb the suns rays because heat destroys the foam inside.
The foam in mine is fine. I drilled three holes and nothing came out and the skin seemed to be welded to the foam..there was no void.
The rudder is coming off and will be recoated with a new skin.
Lastly, I read where a bump such as what I had on the Starboard side can cause the boat to not point into the wind properly.
So Off she comes!!
Now, how do I raise a 20,000 lb boat on a cradle?

·
Northeast 25 O'day Owner
114 Posts
After losing a rudder in the middle of the ocean I will tell you to fix this entirely or get it entirely replaced.

Leave no air-pockets and be sure it lays up completely.

I got my replacement rudder double thick.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts