SailNet Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
My rudder post leaks water between the hull and bottom of stuffing box because it is not attached to the hull at all. I have never worked on a rudder but I am assuming this is bad. I am assuming the box is supposed to be fastened to the hull and the rudder shaft is supposed to rotate inside the box which prevents the leaking. What is the best way to reattach the bronze to the fiberglass? 3M 5200? Should I score the bronze so the adhesive grabs better? Right now the fiberglass at the top of the fiberglass post is very thin because I can see light through it. Should I add more fiberglass and then possibly put screws through it and into the bronze?

I have a video on youtube:

Thanks

·
Master Mariner
9,233 Posts
Do NOT use 5200!
You will need to fiberglass this all back together. The housing for the rudder shaft and gland needs to be secure to the hull, at the hull and at the gland, not wobbling around on a flexible adhesive. This must be an integral part of the hull. Is there no bearing above this?

·
snake charmer, cat herder
2,650 Posts
haul and get repaired. solidly and professionally. if not rich enough for this, consult a pro and see what the game plan should be and do the repair properly and well. also get estimates of work to be done just in case your repair turns sour

me--i would pay for this one.
important things not to be left to chance are steering, propulsion, mechanical and natural, and thru hull fittings--
hull integrity is a broad subject and many situations can interrupt that, and anyone can get the boat back to home port and proper repairs if they know how to quick fix without destroying the original issue or losing
original parts..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do NOT use 5200!
You will need to fiberglass this all back together. The housing for the rudder shaft and gland needs to be secure to the hull, at the hull and at the gland, not wobbling around on a flexible adhesive. This must be an integral part of the hull. Is there no bearing above this?
I think there is a bearing above this above the steering quadrant. I will have to take a look tomorrow. I dont think this is a weight bearing surface, so I would think the flexibility of the 5200 would be good to prevent it from being out of perfect alignment between the other two bearings.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
925 Posts
Looks like it is a pretty snug fit already, so I doubt it is going to "wobble around" if you bond it with 5200. 5200 is good stuff for bonding metal to fiberglass, especially below the waterline, and should hold (and seal) it quite well if it fits as snugly as it looks in the video. The other option is of course to use epoxy.

Nice thing is this is a Catalina 30 - you can call them up directly and I am sure they will have a recommendation.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts