SailNet Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to remove the rudder on a 35' Bene for maintenance. I believe it is taking on water and want to do a full inspection/repair. What is the approximate weight...like 1000 lb, 500 lb, 250 lb, etc? Is a crane needed to handle it; can 2 people do it, can 1 person do it?:confused:

·
One of None
8,040 Posts
I'd say less then a 100, Not many rudders don't have water in them. good luck,

·
One of None
8,040 Posts
I could lift mine after it was out, not easily but I could. It's pretty large too!

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Drill a small hole and see if water comes out. If not, fill the hole and move to the next project on the list.

·
grumpy old man
5,893 Posts
I can't imagine it weighs over 75 lbs. Even that would be heavy. The CF rudder on the
62' FRANCIS lEE weighs 80 lbs. and that is a big rudder.

You could check and see if a replacement rudder is available and then look for the shipping weight.

·
Old enough to know better
4,346 Posts
Drill a small hole and see if water comes out. If not, fill the hole and move to the next project on the list.
I like this idea, if it does not have water coming out when you drill a drain hole, then go on to the next project, unless of course that project is rudder bearings, then I guess it will still need to come off.

One thing is if it is saturated and you drill a drain it will make it a lot lighter before pulling!

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Less than 100 lbs seems manageable to remove by a couple of people.

The boat is in the Chicago area. There is a small hole about 1/3 up from the base of the rudder. My guess is that water got inside and then froze, thus causing the small hole. I wanted to pull the rudder to see if anything needs attention and then fix the hole. Would then need to ensure no water is in the rudder each year upon haul-out for winter storage.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I want to remove the rudder on a 35' Bene for maintenance. I believe it is taking on water and want to do a full inspection/repair. What is the approximate weight...like 1000 lb, 500 lb, 250 lb, etc? Is a crane needed to handle it; can 2 people do it, can 1 person do it?:confused:
When we dropped the rudder for inspection we used two of the cockpit winches when we lowered it and when we lifted it back in place.
The boat is a Beneteau First 38.
You need to dig hole in the ground or lift the boat to remove it completely.
Guessing the weight to be around 100 lb, and a two man job.

Use the winches to lift the rudder a little bit to take the weight of the top bearing before you take out the bolt at the top.

The trust washer at the top had a tight fit, needed a some taps at the end of the rudder shaft to get it moving :)

·
19,488 Posts
Your bigger issue might be the hole you need to dig to drop the rudder out of the boat.. hope you're not on asphalt!.. alternatively you'll need a couple of extra lifts!!

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,488 Posts
When I pulled the rudder on my 35' O'day I weighed it... 200lbs

Here is a pic of the rudder, and where it goes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts