SailNet Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, first time posting a picture so I hope that worked.

I feel like this is a silly question but important none the less. My boat is due for a haulout but that's not going to happen for a few months. I have however replaced the zincs on the prop shaft. My problem now is that I can find no sign of any kind of zinc that protects the rudder shaft. I have been sent a picture of a newport with a zinc on the port side of the skeg but I can see no sign of it in any of my pictures. So before I go for a swim I'd like to figure out what it is I'm looking for. Is it possible that there is no zinc? if so why? and if anyone wants to know why I don;t just jump in and look, well it's December, and snowing

Thanks in advance.

·
I don't discuss my member
2,627 Posts
It is likely that the Newport 41 was not designed to have a rudder zinc installed and the boat you saw a picture of had its zinc installed sometime later in its life. Unless you are experiencing some corrosion issue that the installation of a rudder zinc would solve, I say, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

·
Owner, Green Bay Packers
1,000 Posts
I agree with Fstbttms. If it's any further comfort to you it appears that your rudder and rudder stock are quite a ways from your propeller and would experience little corrosion inducing turbulence.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts