SailNet Community banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to install an access hatch in my Cockpit floor so I have access to the back side of my motor and gear box. Was just wondering if anyone knew of any companies that makes a robust access hatch that can withstand weight of constantly being stood on?

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There is no problem with me installing one I'm actually better than a ship builder with what I do for a living if i wanted to I could get a sheet of 1/8'' aluminum and cut one out on the water jet and then add ribs to the underside but I rather see what's available to buy first. Just for sake of time

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

·
Sailor
935 Posts
There are hatches made for that. They are waterproof and come in deferent sizes. Just google them and see. Why reinvent the wheel?

Mandolin, Bayfield 36 sailing out of Rock Creek.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,641 Posts
A commercial product will probably be like the Bomar flush aluminum hatches. Round or square, something like $1500 US for 24", and then you'll still have to rebuild the cockpit floor to stiffen it up so the hatch doesn't distort.

They're out there, if you're willing to pay for them.

·
Once known as Hartley18
5,179 Posts
You don't say what kind of boat this is for, but, assuming it isn't a Brent-boat, the issue is that, for practical reasons, you'll most likely need something custom-built to get the best possible access in what is typically a trapezoidal-shaped space.

You could fit a Bomar or similar, but there will be a stack of compromises associated with it and you may find that only the most expensive ones are fully watertight with your cockpit flooded.

Even if you could fabricate one yourself, what you need a boat-builder for is for his advice on the best way to do it in the way that you want it to work ...and apart from that, having someone else to pin the blame on when your boat sinks is often a helpful thing. :)

·
Once known as Hartley18
5,179 Posts
WOW! :eek: Given that 24" x 24" would be the smallest practical size for an engine access hatch in a medium-sized yacht, I'm sure glad I could build mine out of timber..

Mind you, one of those would look just fine on a Brent-boat. ;)

·
Once known as Hartley18
5,179 Posts
I'm putting in a new floor in the cockpit so now is the time to do this modification
My advice would still be to go talk to a boat-builder...

You'll need someone to work out a design for the new floor that incorporates all the structural stiffening needed to support the floor around the hatch and work up an appropriately sized and shaped access hatch at the same time. Having done this on my boat already I can tell you it's a non-trivial exercise and there will most likely be much discussion and compromise.

·
Old enough to know better
4,345 Posts
Can't you put in an access panel in the quarter birth? Seems a lot easier than going to the trouble of making a hatch. I have seen some nice hatches over engines, like the one on the Lancer 36, but seems to be a fair amount of risk that it could come open in a knock down.

·
Living the dream
350 Posts
If going the way of making your own, check out Albin Vega's, which have a removable cockpit floor that is very simple and could easily be copied. Basically the entire floor is the hatch that screws down to a fibreglass ledge. the cockpit floor is fibreglass with polyethylene strips glassed to the underside to provide rigidity. If the "frame" of the cockpit floor left after cut seems too weak, this could be easily fixed with aluminium angle reinforcement around the perimeter.

I used to own a Vega and found some picks I took of the cockpit floor if this helps the think tank:

The opening

The floor/cover undergoing reconstruction with full ply reinforcement for strength and sound proofing:

·
formerly 'BoatyardBoy'
534 Posts
My advice would still be to go talk to a boat-builder...

You'll need someone to work out a design for the new floor that incorporates all the structural stiffening needed to support the floor around the hatch and work up an appropriately sized and shaped access hatch at the same time. Having done this on my boat already I can tell you it's a non-trivial exercise and there will most likely be much discussion and compromise.
I don't think adding that aluminum hatch would compromise the deck, if anything it would make it stiffer. The perimeter ring would be stronger than the original glass that was there. It would be no different than adding a door frame in a house.(I know boats are different, but it's the same structural concept)
plus it's a 28 ft boat so the size of that cockpit floor can't be that big to really need that much reinforcement to keep from flexing.

I think one of those AL hatches would be fine if bolted down correctly so it is one with the deck.

If going the way of making your own, check out Albin Vega's, which have a removable cockpit floor that is very simple and could easily be copied. Basically the entire floor is the hatch that screws down to a fibreglass ledge. the cockpit floor is fibreglass with polyethylene strips glassed to the underside to provide rigidity. If the "frame" of the cockpit floor left after cut seems too weak, this could be easily fixed with aluminium angle reinforcement around the perimeter.

I used to own a Vega and found some picks I took of the cockpit floor if this helps the think tank:

The opening

The floor/cover undergoing reconstruction with full ply reinforcement for strength and sound proofing:

That's how my Kaufman 47 is.. Whole shebang comes out. It doesn't have the latches like you but I will be adding them, I like the way yours is. Undo them from the inside in the unlikely event going into the lazerett or the access hatches on the inside don't suffice.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

·
Old enough to know better
4,345 Posts
Since we are sharing photos, this is not my boat, but this is from a Lancer 36 I looked at. I did like how easy it was to access the Lancer 36:

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Can't you put in an access panel in the quarter birth? Seems a lot easier than going to the trouble of making a hatch. I have seen some nice hatches over engines, like the one on the Lancer 36, but seems to be a fair amount of risk that it could come open in a knock down.
cant put on in the rear quarter berth the exhaust is in the way and i would loose structure from the seating and where you entre and exit the boat by putting one there

i have been looking at the bomar aluminum hatches. i just want something water tight that can open easy if i have a problem in the lake and for easier maintenance

1 - 17 of 17 Posts