SailNet Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just completed first season with new boat. Builder put petit Trinidad on bottom, A.C./frrig/freezer keel coolers and strut (all bronze). They put nothing on shaft and maxprop. All of it was heavily encrusted with barnacles. Now in N.E. but heading south fall of 2014. Expect to only have short hauls in future.
?Is Prop Speed worth it? Can I put this stuff on the keel coolers and plastic props of bow thruster? Sent Frigiboat an e mail but no response yet.
?Better to go with highly polished metal and lanolin and then dive it frequently?
Are there other products other than Prop Speed that work and are easier to apply?

·
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)
3,217 Posts
I have wondered how you would keep a keel cooler free of growth without insulating it from the cooler water

·
Banned
8,867 Posts
Just completed first season with new boat. Builder put petit Trinidad on bottom, A.C./frrig/freezer keel coolers and strut (all bronze). They put nothing on shaft and maxprop. All of it was heavily encrusted with barnacles. Now in N.E. but heading south fall of 2014. Expect to only have short hauls in future.
?Is Prop Speed worth it? Can I put this stuff on the keel coolers and plastic props of bow thruster? Sent Frigiboat an e mail but no response yet.
?Better to go with highly polished metal and lanolin and then dive it frequently?
Are there other products other than Prop Speed that work and are easier to apply?
The yard that we used to haul out had lots of commercial boats haul there.
Many/most had keel coolers and the bottoms were done just as you described. The paint mfg may be able to advise you about the paint/ metal
compatibility issue. IIRC, all the keel coolers were made with copper pipe.

Paul T

·
Registered
7,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can't see a thin layer of paint would have much R value. But seems if you use any "regular" bottom paint on these types of metal it's worthless as anti fouling is copper based. They painted the metal strut. It was heavily encrusted. Right next to it the bottom of the boat was clean as a whistle. Whole bottom was epoxied with several coats. Don't know it strut was epoxied but when I cleaned it the bottom paint came off with the barnacles and it seemed to have no coating.
? several layers of a barrier coat then Tin based paint if I can find it or one of the new biocides?

·
One of None
8,040 Posts
I think the barnicles "glue" may attack the base metal, Hope you can get the off without damage. and yes.. paint the metal.

·
Registered
7,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Heard back from frigiboat. Keel cooler is sintered copper balls. They say clean carefully and leave bare. Still back and forth on running gear and strut.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
From everything I've seen and read, Prop Speed is probably the best way to go, but expensive and labor intensive. Another alternative That I use as well as a number of friends, is Pettit Zinc Coat. Inexpensive and easy to use. It does a pretty good job on running gear.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts