SailNet Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone -

I'm a brand new owner of a (I think) 1972 Macgregor Venture 222. I'm not planning on dumping a ton of money into this boat, since it's my first one and I'm brand spanking new to sailing, but I have been putting some elbow grease into cleaning it and getting it ready for the water.

I was able to step the mast and figured out the standing rigging just fine, but I'm really confused about the running rigging and am hoping you guys can help me out. Please forgive me if I get the vocabulary wrong - I'm still learning, but the mast has 4 lines attached to it and I'm trying to decipher what's what.

So far, I know one line is the mainsail halyard, one is the topping lift, and one is the jib halyard. I can't figure out what the fourth one is for.

Does anyone have any idea what that fourth line is called or what it is used for?

Thanks in advance!

·
One of None
Hunter 34
8,436 Posts
Could be for a Spinnaker even though it's a small boat some people have run them on small boats rather than drop the jib and use the jib halyard no way to guess just be glad it's there you have a spare!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts