SailNet Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The boat is under canvas. Usually I disconnect the AGM batteries. Thinking I might leave the wind generator operating and the batteries connected so that they remain fully charged. What is the downside, if any, of doing so?

thanks

·
Registered
7,857 Posts
I don't think it is necessary. Batteries lose very little in cold weather. I would charge them and leave them alone, checking them every month or 2. This works well for flooded batteries, there should be even less loss with agm batteries.

·
713 Posts
Downside.

You could overcharge the battery.
You are putting wear and tear on the wind gen.
You run the risk or the wind gen breaking a blade or ?? and maybe even a bit of liability for neighboring boats and /or people.
And I dunno, does it make it more attractive for theft?
Possible electrical fire

VS

If the batts die over winter that could be a HUGE expense.

And a lot of those 'risks' are very slight, just depends on your own comfort level I guess.

·
Super Moderator
6,765 Posts
The boat is under canvas. Usually I disconnect the AGM batteries. Thinking I might leave the wind generator operating and the batteries connected so that they remain fully charged. What is the downside, if any, of doing so?

thanks
There is no need to do this. Charge to full, 100% disconnect the batteries and let them sit. Far safer, less wear and tear on the gear and no potential for gear failure,,

1 - 6 of 6 Posts