1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
I did a search on the site here and nothing poped up so here goes . A friend of mine coated his prop with this stuff about 18 mo. ago , where his boat is he was getting barnacles on his prop, he has been now barni free . He just hauled out for bottom paint and is going to try a test with this stuff on his rudder .
Rust-Oleum® NeverWet® Liquid Repelling Treatment
Also here is his post on the WOA site .Westsail Owners Association - Never Wet
This one has come up before... Aside from the fact that Rustoleum does not recommend it for surfaces that will be continuously immersed, I'm sure it will be ideal, and is indeed the reason your friend's prop remained barnacle-free...

:)

Rust-Oleum NeverWet relies on a layer of air to form the superhydrophobic coating on the surface of the object. For this reason the product is not recommended for surfaces continuously submerged in water or liquid.

·
Registered
898 Posts
It is Silicone-based. If it does not work on the rudder he may have a tough time ever getting proper antifoam to stick. And Silicones were tried, scientifically, many years ago: failed.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I don't want to sounds negative or doubting..... but my experience with NeverWet has been very poor. It wears off so fast that I really doubt it would make any difference on a prop. Especially a prop spinning in water.

I used it on the front of a travel trailer I own hoping it would stop bugs from sticking. Never got to find out as 2 rain showers later it was gone. $40 down the drain..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.