SailNet Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just discovered a small rust stain on my main. I furl it in flakes across the boom and that's where it was when this stain appeared. I don't know what caused it. The aluminum boom is painted (awl-grip) and there is only aluminum and stainless hardware anywhere near it.

What can I do to clean this stain? Is it safe to use Naval Jelly on the dacron sail? Is there anything else that will clean the stain?

Thanks,
Harry

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
Any cleaning compound containing OXALIC ACID will instantly remove rust stains.
Oxalic will also remove tannin staining which also 'looks like' rust stains.

Go to a paint or hardware store and buy 'wood bleach' crystals which is the cheapest form of oxalic acid.

Oxalic will also quickly remove tannin staining ('moustache') of the boats waterline. Use gloves when using oxalic or you will seriously harm your kidneys.

·
Telstar 28
43,289 Posts
HSH—

I'd pong out that stainless steel is just that, stain less, not stain free...and can bleed rust, especially if left in contact with a wet sail.

·
Telstar 28
43,289 Posts
Wow, SD, considering how often you use the phrase, "I'd point out that...", I figured you just had a macro button for it. Looks like you're still hand typing it after all! ;-)
I was just seeing if you were paying attention. :D I'm turning the macro back on.

Too many people think that stainless steel can't leave rust stains, which is clearly not the case.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Would Spotless Stainless work in this application? Would it be any easier on the sail material?

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
I leave stains alone. Cleaning them might hurt the cloth whereas rust stain won't, and anyway, it's a sign of an 'experienced' sail.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts