SailNet Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hey! I've got a few of those tiny, almost pinpoint rust spots scattered on my non-skid, too. Located only in the wettest deck zones. Decided they were't biological as even bleach didn't alter their appearance. So, is it a spot of rust? An errant grain of iron in the new sand/Awlgrip non-skid? Somehow exposed to moisture under the final coat of paint?

What does oxalic acid neutralize?

·
Registered
4,918 Posts
Any acid should remove the rust stains. Oxalic is a good choice. Marykate ON and Off is available in any marine store.

·
S/V Wyndwitch - Morgan 24
473 Posts
I use On&Off! Works great on waterline scum too. Don't get it on your clothes...
Bruce
Hi Bruce and all. On off in the gel form is great for vertcal surface such as the scum line it also comes in a liquid which works great in a small garden sprayer. It is a combination of oxalic and phosphoric acids and is definitely best used with gloves....Most of the time a home mix of west marine oxalic crystals in warm water in a spray bottle with a dash of LA Awesome will remove most impossible stains need not be used at the concentration of On Off for most. That mixture i mentioned is one of the best combos for brightening/restoring weathered teak I've found and costs very little. Used with 3m pad of correct grade it shapes up beat up teak nicely without too much pain. Also kills any residual fungal activity in or on the wood.

·
Senior Moment Member
13,289 Posts
Hey! I've got a few of those tiny, almost pinpoint rust spots scattered on my non-skid, too. Located only in the wettest deck zones. Decided they were't biological as even bleach didn't alter their appearance. So, is it a spot of rust? An errant grain of iron in the new sand/Awlgrip non-skid? Somehow exposed to moisture under the final coat of paint?

What does oxalic acid neutralize?
Sounds like some steel wool got used on or near your boat.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Spotless Stainless is good for removing rust from SS as well as fibreglass/deck ....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts