SailNet Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I recently bought a sailboat and she's currently out of the water. I am in the research process on things I need to do prior to launching her.

One thing I am wanting to do is adding an anode to the lower half of the skeg where the previous owner had said there is a stainless steel plate (unconfirmed as there is a fiberglass layer over it sadly). However, I am unsure of how people add them.

Does anyone have any recommendations on the process or can link me to it? I can't really seem to find much on this. My idea was originally grinding back the fiberglass to bare metal and inspecting where the rust is coming from. From there I would then assess the damage, repair it, then tap the metal plate and have the anode screwed directly to it, or if the repair calls for someone to come out and weld up a patch, I'll have them weld up something like a bolt directly to the plate so the nut sits on the outside of the anode(done to both sides of the skeg).

My other idea was to drill an oversized hole directly through the plate and fiberglass skeg, fill the hole as one should with epoxy and then redrill the correct size hole and run a 316 stainless threaded rod through the entire thing that would be long enough to handle anodes on both sides of the plates with the nuts on the outside.

Any ideas or tips or references to what you've done would be great! I'll be at the boat on Sunday afternoon so I'll be able to catch some photos of what it currently looks like from the outside.

·
Registered
4,989 Posts
It definitely looks like you have a problem. You will need to do some surgery to see how bad. You say this is a new-to-you boat. No survey?

·
Dirt Free
2,828 Posts
No anode will cure that.
You need to do some serious investigation before you launch that boat.
Hire someone qualified (not just someone who says he's qualified).

·
Banned
12,366 Posts
What type of boat?

Just guessing but I would think it may be the grid within the rudder which is rusting and weeping. Would suggest a more thorough inspection vs speculating if it was me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts