SailNet Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What Kind of paint is this? Since Rustoleum is the oldest Marine paint out there (Alkyd Enamel) I figure it might be worth a shot. Since it is such a big deal putting it on and off, what kind of paint is this? Ablative(hard) Vinyl?
VC offshore? Worthless?
Sam

·
Registered
223 Posts
It is a hard modified epoxy paint with cuprous oxide as the antifouling agent. I don't have any personal experience with it's performance or longevity. My personal opinion is that unless you are getting the Rustoleum for free, ask what other boaters in your area are happy with and go from there.

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Do you haul your boat for the winter or trailer it? If so, you want to use a Multi-Season co-polymer ablative like Micron CSC. Most hard epoxy-based bottom paints will not work again if the boat gets hauled or trailered.

·
I don't discuss my member
2,633 Posts
I have never come across this product in use. As previously mentioned, don't be the guinea pig. Find out what works well in your area and go with that. You might try calling a local hull cleaner for a recommendation.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you gentlemen!
Thank you for your sound advice! I tend to overthink things sometimes, and this may be the case here. I started to look at this as a price option, until I found it was not so cheap. And since it is a modified epoxy, West Marine has CPA Gold cheaper than Rustoleum. Thank You!
Sam

·
Registered
5 Posts
The price of the paint is never a good deciding factor, just remember how much it will cost to get it removed.
The best advice is to see what others in the region that you are sailing in use, what is good for one area isn't necessarilly good for another, be sure to check if the product that you want to use is compatable with the product that is already on the hull, if not you have two choices, strip the old one off and use the new stuff, or use the product that is already on the hull( usually the best alternative) lots of "old guys" will be able to make a pretty good guess at what kind of bottom paint was last used just by looking at it.
Be sure to give this some serious consideration or you will find yourself scraping and sanding a lot for your mistake

1 - 7 of 7 Posts