SailNet Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:laugher Just thought I would share a laugh after the fact, it wasn't funny at the when it happened! I was trailering our S-2 7.3 to Portland and going down a fairly steep hill on I-5 interstate at about 60. I noticed in my rear mirror the boat (which had a 4' fixed keel) seemed to be getting farther behind. I realized I had lost the pin holding the tongue extension on the trailer. The only thing holding the trailer and boat to the truck was the electric wires. I moved the truck to the right shoulder and tried to slowly bring the trailer to a stop. When it did stop the 3500 lb boat broke its tie downs and kept going! Had I been positioned more in the center the keel would have gone right through the cab of the pickup. The boat slid on the keel and its port side for 200 ft, then came to rest in the slow lane on the freeway. Traffic was extra light and no one was injured. When the OSP showed up she verified I had the boat properly tied down, then asked me for my name. You can imagine how difficult it was for her not to break out laughing when I said David Sailer!
The boat sustained about 4000 in cosmetic damages, but not patched up beautifully. I can recommend the S-2 for its toughness!

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Safety chains

The dual safety chains were attached to the main stem, not the extension. Brake cable also broke apart. It was a good lesson in double checking everything whether going on the water or trailering.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yo Baboon

Nobody would willingly tell this story when it makes them out to be a less than careful! If you are that interested ask for the police report with the OSP for February 06. Otherwise, have a little faith!

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OK you unbelievers!

If it was really that important to prove to you that it happened I suggest you call Marge at The Sailing Life in Portland, she sold the repaired S-2 (after full disclosure) to a couple who took it to the Sea of Cortez. I don't need to lie about such a thing.

So I guess there is no need to tell you of the kindness we experienced when the wheel bearing went out on our boat trailer on vacation. A total stranger took our family to his home, allowed us to stay in his 5th wheel, fixed us a five course breakfast and arranged for our trailer to be repaired. That was a story stranger than fiction. Ten years later I was in the same town doing financial counseling and the young lady sitting in front of me was the daughter of that very kind man.

I think sailing people in general are great people with an occasional arse once in awhile.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.