SailNet Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Sailing With Sons
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

I am hopefully soon to be the owner of a 1985 Sabre 36 center board. My primary question is if there is anything in particular I should keep an extra sharp eye out for on the survey? Any known issues with Sabre 36s in general, the center board in particular, the earlier models, etc.? The boat seems to be in very good condition overall and well kept, but obviously the survey will hopefully reveal any issues.

Any other general info, advice, or wisdom is also appreciated.

I am going to join some of the other Sabre forums out there, so you may see this post repeated elsewhere.

THANKS!!!

SwS

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
I have a 34, same vintage. @ 35 years old, you really have to look at everything. If it's been well maintained, hopefully the previous owner kept maintenance logs, and noted any upgrades and replacements. I'd ask to see it if available.

I'd look very closely at and around all the deck penetrations. Handrails in particular and around the chainplates and interior bulkheads.
Sounding all the decks and bulkheads and looking for any water intrusion. Check the mast step @ the cabin sole.
At Survey, you'd want to sling it and lower the centerboard and inspect the board, cable etc. if in doubt, replace the cable it's low cost insurance.

With regard to the engine and other mechanical systems: what's original? what's been replaced? etc. I.E. I just replaced the original water heater after 34 years. Survey should cover the usual, like engine mounts, heat exchanger, raw water pump, cutlass bearing etc etc. I've replaced just about everything, over the years. You might want to get an oil sample.

Sails and rigging are typical inspection items.

What electronics have been added and how well was it done. The original panel wasn't built to accommodate all of today's modern electronics. ( spares etc.) Is there a bunch of spaghetti going to the batteries? or a bus? I added a second breaker panel to land all the additional instruments etc.

That's all I've got at the moment. I'd plan on a decent percentage of the budget for desired upgrades and or repairs, unless the PO has done most of them. Example: are the Cushions original ?

·
11,750 Posts
I think I saw the boat on YW. New engine is a great think. Tempest is right on. Also check chain plates and find out when rigging has been replaced. It should have happened at least once or you will have to do that.

They are great boats. I think the asking price on this one is a little high. Old electronics, no date on sails, interior cushions look original etc.

Good luck

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
mast step should be examined for water damage at the sole, as tempest indicates. Many have been repaired, check this one. We had a 38' of the same vintage and it was one of the best boats we ever owned and sailed.

·
Sailing With Sons
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all of the great advice!

A few things:

The engine is brand new in 2019. 50hrs on it. Survey should show if it was installed correctly I hope, but the engine itself should be good.

The mast step has been repaired, as mentioned.

Not totally sure on the mast itself or the rest of the standing rigging.

Sails are fairly new.

On the downside it doesn't have much in the way of electronics. But that is somewhat of an upside because I can pick what I want (or don't feel I need) and as mentioned make sure the wiring etc. is done correctly.

The listing is on YW, it is the one in Crownsville, MD (won't let me post links yet because I am new). As chef2sail mentioned, I wish the price were lower, but honestly it is lower than almost all of the Sabre 36s out there right now and they don't have new engines. So its kind of like a free engine...

Thanks again!

SwS

·
11,750 Posts
Yes I saw it on YW that’s why I asked. If the standing rigging has not been replaced ( probably rod) you are going to need to replace 35 yr old rigging ASAP. Great risk of failure with major expense. Rerigging about $4-$5 K. Most rigging should be replaced 12 years or so.

I saw the new Yanmar....good update. Old electronics and old sails. Sails would run you about 6k for decent ones.

What you see boats advertised for is not what they sell for. So the comps you want are what. They have sold for, your broker should be able to get these figures. .so between rigging ( $5K) , sails ($6k) , and electronics ($3-4K)
That’s $15K you will need to spend. So the real price is more like $65K, Plus other stuff. You need to chew him down on the price or you’d be overpaying. You have to be willing to wait someone out. Just my Humble opinion.

They are nice boats.....but look at what $65,000 would buy you on Boat.com

https://www.boats.com/boats-for-sale/?condition=used&boat-type=sail&length-from=35&length-to=45&uom=ft&price-from=5&price-to=65000&currency=usd&country=united-states&subdivision=connecticut&subdivision=delaware&subdivision=district-of-columbia&subdivision=maryland&subdivision=massachusetts&subdivision=new-jersey&subdivision=new-york&subdivision=rhode-island&subdivision=texas&subdivision=virginia&page=4

·
Sailing With Sons
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Chef, definitely some good points.

I have been told the sails are newer, will find out for sure in survey/sea trial. I will also find out the age of the rigging and make sure it is thoroughly surveyed and replace if necessary. My thoughts on the electronics are that there are certainly some that I would LIKE to have, I don't know that I NEED to have them at the moment. My thoughts are that Sabre 36s overall are very well made and capable boats, and this one in particular seems to be well kept and in great shape. I will certainly make any necessary upgrades on NEEDS like rigging, etc. to make sure the boat is actually functional and safe. AND this one already has one of the most expensive ones just done... the engine! As for WANTS like electronics, etc. I can fit those in as my budget allows. To be honest, I wish the boat didn't already have AC/Heat!!! One more thing to break!

Also, you are right, I can probably get a newer nicer boat for $65K, but it would probably still need $15K+ of work as well. I can afford around $40K up front and other expenses along the way, but I don't know that I can afford $65K with other expenses along the way. I do agree with being willing to wait on price. This one actually dropped from $50K to the current list of $42K, and I have been watching it awhile. A Tartan 37 I was watching that was well priced sold before I could make a move. I guess my concern on this boat or any is that if I wait and wait for the price to lower, someone else will buy all of the boats I am interested in and I will be waiting and waiting instead of sailing.

But yes, I would LOVE to get it at a very low price and definitely don't want to over pay.

-SwS

·
11,750 Posts
Chef, definitely some good points.

I have been told the sails are newer, will find out for sure in survey/sea trial. I will also find out the age of the rigging and make sure it is thoroughly surveyed and replace if necessary. My thoughts on the electronics are that there are certainly some that I would LIKE to have, I don't know that I NEED to have them at the moment. My thoughts are that Sabre 36s overall are very well made and capable boats, and this one in particular seems to be well kept and in great shape. I will certainly make any necessary upgrades on NEEDS like rigging, etc. to make sure the boat is actually functional and safe. AND this one already has one of the most expensive ones just done... the engine! As for WANTS like electronics, etc. I can fit those in as my budget allows. To be honest, I wish the boat didn't already have AC/Heat!!! One more thing to break!

Also, you are right, I can probably get a newer nicer boat for $65K, but it would probably still need $15K+ of work as well. I can afford around $40K up front and other expenses along the way, but I don't know that I can afford $65K with other expenses along the way. I do agree with being willing to wait on price. This one actually dropped from $50K to the current list of $42K, and I have been watching it awhile. A Tartan 37 I was watching that was well priced sold before I could make a move. I guess my concern on this boat or any is that if I wait and wait for the price to lower, someone else will buy all of the boats I am interested in and I will be waiting and waiting instead of sailing.

But yes, I would LOVE to get it at a very low price and definitely don't want to over pay.

-SwS
42 k is much better. New engine makes that reasonable. They are nice boats. When I bought Haleakula 23 years ago it was between her, a Tartan 37 , and a 36 Sabre. All good performing boats. The C&C 35 was the best condition so that’s the way I went.

I also have a centerboard a love it. Especially for the Chessie. When we go to NE and the LI Sound on her it’s nice to have the greater depth of it, plus it also helps when the wind hits 15 with us. We don’t have to reef till 22

Good luck Hope she surveys welll. They are great boats.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
SWS,

The new engine is a pretty big plus IMO. I take good care of my old Westerbeake. However, My biggest concern at this point would be to having to replace it on a 35 yo $$$ given my time horizon.

Listing says the boat was sold in April 2019 for $47,000 and is now being offered @ $42,000 ? So the PO had it for one season and is selling? Makes me curious, perhaps it's nothing. I'm pretty sure I'd want a sea trial. ( engine, trans, vibration check etc.)
IDK, is 50 hours enough time to safely run it up to max rpm?

The Windlass is a plus, the Heat/ A/C is a plus if it's functioning properly.

Mast step Fixed is a plus. I'd still sound and inspect around the chainplates and check the bulkheads and topside handrails.

I'm guessing it's CNG, which I happen to like for safety, but I can get refills pretty easily. That's not always the case everywhere.

If it's a 3 blade Max Prop, I think that's on the plus side.

New Trans too? when they replaced the engine? Shaft? Cutlass?

Just some random thoughts.

·
Sailing With Sons
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks again for the great info. Tempest, the sold boat from April 2019 on the YW posting is actually a different Sabre 36. The broker was putting that out there to show how good of a value this one was. Definitely somewhat confusing. But the current owner has had her for a while.

Also, good point on the trans, shaft, cutlass, etc. I will have to follow up on those. Not sure if they were replaced, but I imagine they were at least "gone over" when the engine was replaced... I hope!

-SwS

·
11,750 Posts
The one drawback of the Sabre you are looking at is the CNG stove and the availability of fuel. If you intend to use it a lot or If it ever cones to it I would replace the whole system with propane. Many of my friends with Sabre’s have done that.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts