SailNet Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bottom Line Up Front (BLUF) - if you have an older boat (20+ years?) check for rudder corrosion, especially in hidden areas. This may require lowering the rudder. The saga follows:

On June 26, we were sailing the Chesapeake out of Deltaville on a run back from mid-Bay at 135 degrees and 12 knots apparent. We decided to hoist our new-first-time-out-of-the-bag A1.5 Evolution racing spinnaker. Sweet! 7.5 knots without really trying. Suddenly, the boat became uncontrollable and did a 180deg turn into the wind - full broach. WTF?! The helm didn't answer. The spinnaker went flat against the mast and exited the fore triangle, shredding the sail leaving only the luff & leech tapes. Got the remnants aboard and we began trying to figure out what happened. Then we couldn't get the boat under control with the mainsail or the jib. That caused me to climb over the back of the boat and look beneath.... no rudder. Within sight of Deltaville, I checked for water ingress (none), we anchored in 25' of water, put on the PFDs, and called TowBoatUS. Hauling the boat two days later revealed that the rudder sheared off at the waterline. Removing the remaining 24" x 2 ⅞" SS rudder head revealed that the galvanic corrosion reduced the 1/4" wall thickness to less than 1/16" in places. I had no idea the rudder was so corroded even inspecting it annually when sanding/painting - the corrosion was hidden up inside the rudder log. Contacting Sabre was not helpful since they stopped making sailboats about 2012 and no longer have the mold nor the dimensions. Based on Sabre's and other recommendations, I contacted Foss Foam products in FLA and they indicated that they had a Sabre 36 mold matching in every dimension except the trailing edge, which they were able to modify to match our boat. As luck has it, there is another Sabre 38 MkI out of the water of the same age in our yard. The owner and I made many measurements to determine where Foss should add material to match our rudder. After only 2 weeks, it arrived on an oversized pallet and I began installation. Some complication arose due to misalignment of the rudder skeg, lower bushing at the waterline, the rudder stuffing box, and the upper bushing. I ended up reaming out the lower bushing and grinding the skeg in front of the rudder. Drilling the bolt holes for the steering quadrant and retaining ring were pretty easy. Assembly and adjustment took time but wasn't terribly difficult. Four coats of barrier coat and two coats of bottom paint finished off the job - about 17 hours. Due to a long standing work commitment, I wasn't able to relaunch until yesterday. but an upwind/ downwind sail in 10 knots showed a much lighter helm (due to removal of misalignment issues). The repaired spinnaker will have to wait for another day for its second inauguration. So that's how I've spent my sailing summer. 😂
Water Sky Boat Watercraft Vehicle
Textile Art Leisure Fun Fashion design
Automotive tire Azure Tread Tire Wheel

Boat Watercraft Naval architecture Vehicle Tripod
Road surface Asphalt Wood Urban design Gas
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Wood Automotive exterior
Pipeline transport Composite material Gas Plumbing Steel casing pipe

Sky Cloud Asphalt Road surface Gas
Automotive tire Gas Tints and shades Auto part Font

Attachments

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the narrative and the story of a decent outcome. I hope that the insurer stepped up.

Fair winds!
:)
BoatUS/Geico only covered the tow. Corrosion due to wear and tear excluded the coverage. My argument that the rudder did not cause the sail to tear, that the wind caused the tear (if the wind were 5 kts, nothing would have happened), did not move them. So it was a VERY expensive daysail.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sabreman…are you no longer on the Yeocomico?
We moved the boat to Deltaville 2 summers ago. I spend a lot of time there racing my boat and others so it mades sense. The Property Tax differential offsets the increased slip rental. Being able to haul at my home marina is a real treat. Plus Deltaville has a lot of marine services. It's a real treat.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts