SailNet Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
415 Posts
Reaction score
Use an over size pendant with chafing protection(recommend YALE from Hamilton Marine: Mooring Pendant 1""-26' Maximoor II Polyester Stainless Steel they will custom make any size you actually want)

Limit the stuff the pendant has to go over to a bow chock.

Connect to a heavily reinforced(plywood and steel plate through decking) to a larger SS horn clean. Wrap the pendant where if comes out of the cleat with a small piece of line to keep it tight.

If winds are scheduled to exceed Tropical Storm, run for a very safe harbor, or pull boat from water.

Using the above, we've never lost a boat on our club moorings for the past 22 years, through 2 hurricanes for a few boats where the owner wasn't around to pull them or move them. We did lose one where the pendant was cut by a danforth anchor carelessly left at the bow and the pendant ran over it.

· Registered
415 Posts
Reaction score
Assuming 2 bow cleats

cleat a line, pass through the pendant loop and cleat to the opposite side. Repeat with another line going in the opposite direction. The boat should be wearing a necklace now. Then, this may be stupid, I tie the ends together with reef knots. I think the front of the boat will have to shear to loose this setup.
Does the necklace twist for you? And what is the significance of using a necklace on two bow chocks rather that just one over size pendant with chaffing protection on just one bow chock?

· Registered
415 Posts
Reaction score
During Sandy the boats on Yale Maximoor pendants did not fare as well as those with three strand nylon pendants with decent chafing gear. A Beneteau 35.5 chafed through two brand new 1" maximoor pendants. The clear winner was the Cyclone Dynema Mooring pendant - no failures.
What constituted decent chaffing gear, and exactly how was it that the Yale Maximoors chaffed through? Without knowing the details(also such as what the displacement of the boats was) I won't know how to protect my own boat on a mooring.

· Registered
415 Posts
Reaction score
Dyneema pendant...

"Seaworthy contacted the owner of Nantucket Moorings, Dennis Metcalfe, to see how the Dyneema pendants fared when Irene came ashore in Nantucket with gusts to 65 mph. His reply: "We didn't lose a single boat." Metcalfe said in the three years Nantucket Moorings has been using Dyneema, he has never seen any signs of chafe."

From ... Good Night Irene And Good Riddance - Seaworthy Magazine - BoatUS
What I see is a big plug for Dynema, but I don't see any information on the circumstances for the chafing of a Yale Maxi-Moor, and its failure. Can you share that information?
I'm sure that while the Dynema people will be happy, those of us with Maxi-Moor's as well as Yale rope itself would love to know more specifics. One of the listings also said that boats with SS survived but none without it did.

This site(http://forums.sbo.sailboatowners.com/printthread.php?t=131027) notes that in Falmouth, ME, with 1100 boats, they've never seen a Yale tech pendant fail. IMO, anyone who leaves their boat out in a hurricane has all bets off. But even so....

So inquiring minds would like specifics... at least this inquiring mind, since he has a Yale Pendant.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.