SailNet Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Super Moderator
6,859 Posts
Reaction score
#1 Drill two holes as far forward in the bow protuberance as you can.

#2 Rig a yoke to port and starboard side of protuberance.

#3 Attach the spare spin halyard to yoke it and snug it tight.

#4 When the bow dives, and is off to one side, the pendants can not override the anchor roller and will slough off the yoke..

· Super Moderator
6,859 Posts
Reaction score
During Sandy the boats on Yale Maximoor pendants did not fare as well as those with three strand nylon pendants with decent chafing gear. A Beneteau 35.5 chafed through two brand new 1" maximoor pendants. The clear winner was the Cyclone Dynema Mooring pendant - no failures.

Boats that hauled fared worse than those stayed on a mooring. a nearby yard lost every boat they hauled. When I reapplied for insurance, the underwriter wanted a named storm action plan; hauling was not an acceptable choice.
Sorry you could not pay enough me to use three strand for mooring pendants. Blanket statements do no one any good....

I am lucky enough to know the Yale brothers and be in a Yale test bed mooring field. There is NO COMPARISON when all is equal between a polyester Maxi-Moor Pendant and a three strand...

The "rest of the story" is what needs close examination before definitive statements like that can be made.

I have been investigating mooring failures after storms here in the NE for well over 20 years. Yale pendants are hands down more robust in regards to chafe than any three strand in both factory chafing tests and real world examples.

My neighbors boat ORINOCO with dual brand new (a few weeks old) three strand pendants. This is how close we actually are:

This is ORINOCO drifting away after she parted both three strand pendants:

This is what was left of ORINOCO's pendants. One still had the chafe sleeve on it....

Our boat suffered a slight wear spot in the outer Cordura chafe sleeve on the primary pendant. ORINCO was found washed up many miles away and suffered keel damage.

This was after a short duration storm with peak winds of just 32 knots. This pendant was toast as were about 15% of the three strand pendants I inspected for chock hard spots..

Not a single Maxi-Moor I inspected had a single hard spot....

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.