SailNet Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
I don't discuss my member
2,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone interested in doing a Safety at Sea seminar in the Annapolis MD area? If we get enough people we can really make it a lot more cost effective. Everyone I’ve talked to has said this is a great course and a must if you plan to go offshore. Please let me know when you'd be interested.

·
Registered
674 Posts
SaS

They have this seminar every March in Annapolis. Not sure whether you want to get them to give another seminar or whether a bunch of us put on our own.
I took this seminar a few years back in order to qualify as watch captain in a race I was doing. Lots of good speakers. It was good.... BUT most of the information is available in books and online. I also feel that if you sail offshore w/ any regularity and do so in a responsible manner you're going to be far better equipped to deal w/ "situations" than someone who doesn't sail offshore but just took the course and has a false sense of security.
MOB is a typical issue. IN THEORY you can rescue someone; in practice it can be very difficult to maneuver back to them when the wind is blowing 30 knots versus 10-12 knots.

Hey, I've been off the board for a while; did ya do the DelMarVa like you were planning?

·
I don't discuss my member
2,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Delmarva for me fell through as well as many others. Not sure if anyone else still made the trip. Had issues with one of my crew falling through and the boat wasn't as ready as I would've liked it to be.

I checked US sailing, closest location is in RI during March. Do you have a link to the one in Annapolis?

·
Banned
1,264 Posts
Delmarva for me fell through as well as many others. Not sure if anyone else still made the trip. Had issues with one of my crew falling through and the boat wasn't as ready as I would've liked it to be.

I checked US sailing, closest location is in RI during March. Do you have a link to the one in Annapolis?
They're at the Naval Academy every late March and include great on-water live demos of MOBs and USGC rescue helicopters as well as speakers:
U.S. Naval Academy Sailing Squadron

·
Banned
1,264 Posts
Yes, we go every year (a requirement for Dan's teaching at the Naval Academy). The link I provided has the powerpoint presentations and is the same event as T37's.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.