SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
One of None
8,040 Posts
well it looks like it was saved, you see 1 guy right away right away. Get on the keel, so I guess they would know how to right the boat eventually. water was moving like a mill race!

·
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)
3,217 Posts
gotta love people who make videos and not know what they are talking about.

Yes, it hit the bridge, was swept under by the current, and was all but demasted as she was pulled under the bridge. She came out swamped, but I doubt that boat is going to sink. Something that small should have built in floatation.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Something simliar almost happened to me at Morgan Creek RR bridge as I was circling waiting for the 35 highway bridge to open. :-(

·
One of None
8,040 Posts
Something simliar almost happened to me at Morgan Creek RR bridge as I was circling waiting for the 35 highway bridge to open. :-(
Well don't leave us hanging! tell us the whole story! :eek:

·
Registered
178 Posts
Well don't leave us hanging! tell us the whole story! :eek:
Under OB power & current was ~7 knots out through the bridges to Raritan Bay. Circled too close to pilings around the RR bridge and got hung up on them briefly, acquiring some creosote on port side, but got free and retreated back into the creek. Finally the 35 highway bridge was open enough for my 40' mast & I got through, as RR bridgetender was hollering at me on 13 to hurry up cos train was coming. A stressful few minutes there. (RR bridge is inside highway 35 bridge at that location.) As I passed under highway bridge the bridgetender asked me to say again the name of my vessel. I suppose he put me down in his book of bad examples of seamanship? :)

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Well, I blame that long, long bowsprit. Kept them from grabbing the lock ladders.

Oh, yeah, and that anchor thingy....

·
Old as Dirt!
3,488 Posts
Several years ago my wife and I and another couple happened to be having a sunset dinner on the waterside deck at a Houston's restaurant on the west side of the ICW in Pompano Beach, Fla, adjacent to the north side of the East Atlantic Boulevard Bridge, which only opens on a fixed time schedule. While sitting there a small sail boat came by, a Catalina 27 as I recall, powered by an outboard. They blew an air horn, mightily, for an opening but, predictably, got no response from the bridge tender. Realizing the bridge wasn't going to open, the helmsman swung the tiller over, facing the boat back up-stream but was able to make little progress against the down flowing current, even with his motor racing. Slowly but surely, the boat was dragged backward, between the bridge dolphins and the shore-line, toward the fixed span. With this, I and the other husband, jumped up and ran along the dock toward the bridge calling out to the endangered sailors to drop their anchor, which was hanging off the bow pulpit. There was no response from the panicky helmsman who simply kept twisting on the throttle--already at the stops--ever harder. Realizing that this fellow hadn't a clue, we raced up the embankment to the bridge and out onto the span where the masthead was only slightly above our heads as it made its inimitable approach. Once it got within arms reach, we reached out and grabbed the back-stay and leaned into it, holding the mast, and the boat, away from the bridge. The excitement became more pronounced when the erstwhile helmsman evidently managed to damage the throttle and kill the motor entirely and went on for some while until a sympathetic power boater that happened by backed down on the boat, passed them a line, and snatched them away from the bridge and, thankfully, out of our aching arms/hands. As we walked down the bridge and embankment, shaking our heads, the duo disappeared into the darkness. Arriving back at our table, my wife announced "Well done Captains Courageous, but now you've had your excitement for the weekend, your dinners are cold and wine warm!" N'ary a thank you in sight!

Bridges, currents and outboards are not a good mix!

·
S/V Calypso
246 Posts
All those power boats that you hear sailboats complain about, came up as quick as the could to assist! Remember before you call them name, they may be the guy who saves your a$$

·
Bombay Explorer 44
3,619 Posts
Never mind a motor all prudent sailors in confined spaces have an anchor ready to deploy.

Methinks the current was a tad strong for anything less than a big OB.

·
Registered
96 Posts
A couple of years back my wife and I crossed a drawbridge over the ICW onto Manasota Key, FL just north of Charlotte Harbor. Right after we crossed, the bridge started opening for a boat so we decided to park for a minute and watch. We saw a 30-something foot Hunter coming down the waterway at 8 or 10 knots (!) so I had to go get a closer look. Turned out the water was moving under the bridge at a good 5 knots, carrying the boat with it. I have always wondered what the skipper would have done if the bridge hadn't opened for him, because I didn't see any way he was going to slow down and reverse in time under engine power, and the channel looked too narrow to turn around without backing. I know I'd be plenty nervous even approaching a bridge with that kind of current (although the Rigolets comes close to that sometimes).

·
Registered
735 Posts
All those power boats that you hear sailboats complain about, came up as quick as the could to assist! Remember before you call them name, they may be the guy who saves your a$$
I've been pulled off sandbars by two friendly power boaters in the last three years!

·
Master Mariner
8,977 Posts
Perhaps this clip should be dedicated to those who think it's a really good idea to sail into their slip just for the fun of it.
And I am more convinced than ever, that sculling is a practical way to maneuver a small sailboat when the wind fails. Engine, what engine? We don't need no stinking engine.

·
A perfect day!
116 Posts
Perhaps this clip should be dedicated to those who think it's a really good idea to sail into their slip just for the fun of it..
Why do you say that? I sail into my slip as often as I can. Usually better than motoring in when the ob dies at the worst time....

1 - 20 of 22 Posts