SailNet Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is something I wanted to share with you guys, long time ago, and forgot.

However, at the boat show in Chicago, I mentioned it to someone, (I can't remember who), and now here it is.

It's about a program that Delmar Conde started..and I think it's pretty cool, as it opens the horizons a lot for less fortunate pepole.

He made 6 boats, replicas of the old 12 meter america's Cup boats, for disabled people and even has 2 made for paraplegic people, where the controls are done via electronic servos and tubes one blows air with the mouth to control main sail, ruder, etc.

basically you lie down inside the hull and the boat weighs 500lbs..It is a lead keeled boat, and they are now making many races...

For disabled, you are tied in, in a harness that releases in case of an emergency. These boats are very complete..cunningham, outhaul, backstay, genoa wisker pole (stored in the boom)..all the bells and whistles!!

I leave you with a few photos, and hope you enjoy..

Delmar built my boat, and is a man of multiple resources..he is also one of the best sailors I've met, and so are his kids..but above all Hearts of Gold...

Enjoy guys..tell me what you think? cool isn't it?

Just more opportunities for the less fortunate.

MINI DC

DELMAR CONDE web page

·
Leap! The net will appear
234 Posts
Alex! It was me! Remember, I was telling you that I'm volunteering to teach sailing to disabled kids....that my Dad's in a wheelchair, how to get him out on my boat, etc, etc.

I've never seen these boats here in the States....has anyone else?

·
Registered
7,309 Posts
There is a fleet of something like this in Seattle, check with Seattle Yacht Club. Also, IIRC there are some boats that are used in the Olympics ie disabled version. There was some articles in recent rags, sailing world, and sailing IIRC.

Also local for me, is a group called "Outdoors for ALL" a disabled assoc that works on getting folks sailing, hiking and snow skiing. Not sure of the how and what the sailing part is using for boats etc. The ski portion is next to the bldg the ski school i teach for is at, and am somewhat familiar with the program in that I have done numerous clinics for the instructors, and how to improve the "normal?!?!?!" bodied skiing instructors.

It should not be that hard to find info on the web for this type of issue, I know I have seen it seems like very 3-6 months from different sailing mags how disabled folks are now out sailing, designs they use etc.

marty

·
Registered
4,647 Posts

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
Actually this is not new. There was a lady who was fully paralysed and crossed the English Channel in 2005 in a small sailing boat using "sip & puff" technology to set the sails, trim and steer the boat by appropriately sipping on or puffing into two straws to activate servos that did the work.

You can see the article here:

Quadriplegic woman sails solo across Channel - Times Online

A freind of mine was involved in the sip'n'puff that this lady used - he worked at the time for a company who were world leaders in this type of design.

But great that someone is now bringing this to a wider audience. I know that I would want to do something like that if I were incapaciatated in a similar way.

·
Registered
7,309 Posts
Here is a Jeanneau of a MiniJOD as it was called, ie a mini 12M AC cup boat.

The Seattle NOOD's last yr had a fleet of these boats too! Not sure whom made the boats.

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
I'd point out that a few years ago, 2005 or so, the multihull national champion in the UK was a paraplegic sailor in a customized Corsair trimaran. :)

There are quite a few disabled sailing programs around the US, as well as disabled sports programs.

Thanks for posting Gui.

·
236 Posts
If you are in the Minneapolis Minnesota area the Wayzata yacht club has some disabled people that race sailboats and have even gone to the Olympic trials from what I understand. They teach racing to everyone though and are very friendly people. I spent a couple of summers on the looking for crew table and got on a boat most of the time. The classes they have coming up in the spring are very technical and had me lost until I got out on the water to see what they were talking about. Last I heard they were trying to buy some more land to setup a school of some sort. Anyway if you are in the area here is their address. Wayzata Yacht Club - Sailboat Racing

·
Registered
101 Posts
Back in the late 90's, Community Boating in Boston did a week long trial of the Martin 16, which is designed for able and disabled bodied sailors. It had a jumpseat for an instructor. They then trialed a 2.4, which was very popular with experienced sailors. CB had an existing fleet of Sonars which were heavily used.

Boston has many resources for sailors with disabilities. Maureen McKinnon-Tucker runs a program here.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I am a bilateral transtibial amputee (read double below the knee). My only problem is getting off the boat. Once I'm in the boat, all is OK. I cannot really singlehand, due to the fact that I really cannot leave the cockpit and go forward.

But I LOVE to sail. See you out there.

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
I am a bilateral transtibial amputee (read double below the knee). My only problem is getting off the boat. Once I'm in the boat, all is OK. I cannot really singlehand, due to the fact that I really cannot leave the cockpit and go forward.

But I LOVE to sail. See you out there.
Thank you for sharing with us.
You are an inspiration to us all.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts