SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I sorta like his books, but this one had some real goofs in it.

First, the Step Dad flies his new wife and her 3 kids AND all their luggage for a 2 month cruise to the boat in his CESSNA SKYHAWK. Hmmmm. FIVE people AND gear in a FOUR seat airplane. Riiiiiggghhtt.:p

Then the boat is at sea. The "hero" goes topside to see the person on watch. Senses a storm is coming (unforecast). So he goes fwd to raise the SEA ANCHOR???? Okay, so suspend for a moment the fact that they should be SAILING at sea. MAYBE they just decided to park the boat for a break. But then after getting the "sea anchor" up, he goes to REEF the mainsail. Hmmmm, guess they weren't "anchored" afterall.:rolleyes:
It goes downhill even further from there.

Oh, and the StepDad is one of the bad guys.

·
19,488 Posts
Those kinds of errors are annoying and unnecessary... Lately Patterson's books all list a co-author as well, I suspect that he may just read them and put his name to them.

·
moderate?
1,000 Posts
Ha...just read this myself. I really like a lot of Patterson's books but this one had me shaking my head.

Another error...this is supposed to be a Morris yacht. The engine water intake line is sabotaged and the boat nearly floods...no mention of simply turning off the sea ****! The hero substitutes a piece of FUEL line to repair the break!

·
Registered
994 Posts
I can't comment on sailing too much because I am such a newbie. I love it when I topic comes up that I can comment on.
I am a writer with 2 books published. One is a best seller. I went on a book tour in 2005 and met John Grisham. We had a long talk about writing.
He said most well known authors come up with the basic story then pass off the research and actual writing to someone else.
I think Patterson has done that with this one.
They do this at the request of publishers because the actual author needs to be out promoting. That's how the publishes make their money. Sales not writing.
Sad but true.

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
It is very sad when authors don't do their basic research... makes the book a lot less believable in the long run...

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ha...just read this myself. I really like a lot of Patterson's books but this one had me shaking my head.

Another error...this is supposed to be a Morris yacht. The engine water intake line is sabotaged and the boat nearly floods...no mention of simply turning off the sea ****! The hero substitutes a piece of FUEL line to repair the break!

Oh yeah, forgot that part. And they were "sailing" at the time; why the hell not just shut the damn seacock???

BTW if you like Airplane novels, John Nance writes really good stuff. I've been amazed at how accurate they are. An acquaintance of mine knew him through work and I told her to tell him THUMBS UP!

·
Registered
8,474 Posts
James Patterson has become a publisher's dream- a writer who has no pretensions about his place in the literary world. He knows that he is a brand, and has adapted to that reality by basically creating a pulp fiction sweatshop. He comes up with an idea, and has a team of junior scribes who flesh out his outlines. Thus a James Patterson novel is just like any mass produced product- quick, cheap, familiar, and quality control gets a little sloppier with each new release.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Give yourself a plug, Berkshire! I could use a good read. What have you written? Of course, you'll give up your anonymity though.;)

·
Registered
404 Posts
On the topic of sailing and books I just read the "Gold Coast" by Nelson Demille. I love his books, his writing style and usually all the time his writing about boats is pretty good as he grew up and lives on Long Island.

However I was laughing in this past book as his main character and his family wakes up in the morning on their 36' sloop on the last day of their cruise where they are located in between the two forks of Long Island. They proceed to sail around Gardiners Island for fun, then sail 3 miles off Orient Point where they go shark fishing, hook a mako, fight it for over an hour, then have lunch, then sail all the way back to Manhasset Bay and get in just before sun down.

For those who are not familiar with Long Island or LI sound, just the sailing part, around Gardiners, off Orient Point then out to Manhasset Bay would take close to 24 hours yet they accomplish this in about 7 while stopping to eat lunch and fight a mako (off a sailboat) for 3 hours.

Still love Demille's books tho but was disappointed for this part.

·
S2 8.0c- Schatzie
16 Posts
What a huge disappointment this book was. I won't be reading anything else with his name on it.

·
Dirt Free
2,851 Posts
An unheard of book by Canadian author Farley Mowat. A true story called "The Boat That Wouldn't Float". funniest thing I have ever read. Guy goes to Newfoundland to buy an old wooden fishing schooner and turn it into a yacht and sail it back to Toronto. All the highs and lows of boat maintenance in a hilarious package. Boat is named Itchy Ass Sally

·
Iroquois MkII
241 Posts
Just finished reading that "Sail" book by Patterson, I had never read anything by him before. It was incredibly bad. Each chapter took about 2-3 pages, and had a mini cliff hanger. Could count the number of 3-sylalble words used on one hand. Technically it was brutal, a book named "Sail" written by somebody who does not appear to have bothered sailing a boat. Ignoring the goofs, the plot itself was just unbelievable. The giant snake trying to eat people in the Bahamas was the icing on the cake.

·
Registered
919 Posts
An unheard of book by Canadian author Farley Mowat. A true story called "The Boat That Wouldn't Float". funniest thing I have ever read. Guy goes to Newfoundland to buy an old wooden fishing schooner and turn it into a yacht and sail it back to Toronto. All the highs and lows of boat maintenance in a hilarious package. Boat is named Itchy Ass Sally

I have read at least one of his books and it was very good. I'll look for this one.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Ok snort.
I don't have a problem "plugging" my own stuff. My first was For My Son - that one is only available in Canada but I have a few here.
The second one (this is the one I'm most proud of) is called Three Days With Mary. Right now its hard to find because the first run sold out so fast. I have seen a few signed copies floating around the internet for $30. If I ever die they should be worth more. haha. Have to admit, that one would be a great cruising read for the wife.
And to "plug" a little more - just finished the first draft of the screenplay. Watch for it to hit the big screen in early 2011.

·
ancient mariner
439 Posts
i read the boat that wouldn't float a few years ago, a really funny story.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts