SailNet Community banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Fellow PSC Owners:

After going through Gui's sail handling videos, I see that my Orion 27 might benefit from a back stay adjustment mechanism, boom vang, cunningham, and out haul redesign. Anyone ever add a backstay adjustment mechanism to a split backstay? My backstay splits about 8 or 9 feet above the cockpit at an inverted "Y" type plate and attaches at opposite ends of the stern. Both anchor points go to turnbuckles. How do you add an adjustment feature to this setup?

How do you add a boom vang if your boat doesn't have one? Is there some formula or rule of thumb as to how far out on the boom from the mast to attach it? Which are better the pole type or a simple block and tackle setup?

The Cunningham and Outhaul additions / changes seam simple enough. While I am at that, should I move the reefing from the mast to the cockpit as well?

When I had my rigging inspection last summer, the rigger suggested I add another set of backstays for the staysail to prevent mast bending. How are those attached so as not to interfere with the mainsail movement? Are these more like adjustable preventers that get adjusted based on what tack you are on?

I don't have a spinnaker rig setup either, or any mechanism to attach a jib / spinnaker pole to the mast when going downwind. Any other Orion guys out there who have done such a modification?

·
Not So Senior Member
2,507 Posts
When I had my rigging inspection last summer, the rigger suggested I add another set of backstays for the staysail to prevent mast bending. How are those attached so as not to interfere with the mainsail movement? Are these more like adjustable preventers that get adjusted based on what tack you are on?
These are referred to as running backs. They are adjusted based on tack so that the boom doesn't hit them. They will attach to the sides of the mast at about the same level the staysail tang is welded. You should see if anyone on the yahoo group can tell you where they attach their lower ends of the running backs, I don't know exactly as I'm sloop rigged.

Adjustments are easy. You ease the leeward running back so the boom doesn't hit it. The windward running back will be taking all the load. When you tack remember to ease the new leeward running back and tighten the new windward running back.

If you move the reefing to the cockpit, remember to move the main halyard to the cockpit too. You can't reef if you can't lower the main.

You'r rigger can tell you where to put the boom vang back on the boom. I don't know if it would be too big a deal as we have a 3 bail mid boom sheeting as is. That helps bring the boom down some already. Maybe midway between the gooseneck and the first boom bail???

Try asking dick shaeffer on the yahoo group. his boat,Morning Star, is set up for cruising and has alot of the gear you are asking about. He even posted some pics of his one line reefing system. Hope it helps.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts