SailNet Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
654 Posts
Reaction score
I wud have to agree with the Centaur. Given the investment of capital, maintenance, and time, sailing is typically a love or hate thing with little middle ground. Sailing, to me, is about the journey while powerboating is all about the destination. A sailboat, assuming that you are not constantly motoring, will be vastly cheaper, in terms of fuel cost and engine maintanence. (The Wind is free!) That being said it is going to take you alot longer to get from point A to point B. No matter which route you go, I would suggest choosing diesel engines; they are typically lower maintenance and much lower burn rate (in fuel $) than gas engines. As for stability, almost any sailboat will be more stable than a powerboat. If you are leaning the powerboat way, you may want to consider a displacement trawler. These boats, between their weight, their keel, and the ability to deploy a riding sail are alot more stable than a planing hull. This stability, however, comes at a cost, as, typically, top speed in a trawler is 8-12 knots. Good luck

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.