SailNet Community banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Land lubber
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I am new to the forum and new to sailing. I just purchased a Macgregor 25.

I have a headsail that is in rough shape. I found a replacement for $425 from Peak Sails but was wondering if that is my best bet. Does anyone know if these are of reasonable quality? Are there better options? Is replacement my best bet or should I have my current one repaired? If so, who are some options for repair? I am an hour north of Tampa, FL, USA.

Thanks in advance.

·
69' Coronado 25
323 Posts
There are a few on line used sail places to check, Minnies in Ca will ship and they have a huge selection. You can also check here for new MacGregor 25 sails. On fleebay there is a guy that has a bunch of stuff including sails "marinetreasures". When I had my Mac 25 I got a hand me down mainsail (good cond.) from a member of the MacGregors Owners Association.

·
Registered
5,979 Posts
Bacon's has used sails, will ship - baconsailing.com, here in annapolis.
They also make decent quality, well priced sails - you can get a quote online for your boat as they have the measurements.

If you do try to repair that you would be better off just cutting away the holed luff, turn it into a 95% (or smaller) headsail.

·
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA
4,525 Posts
That sail is toast. Any money you spend on it will be wasted. I have had success both buying and selling with Bacon. Their quality descriptions are quite conservative. If they say that a sail is 'Very good' you can trust that it will last you for a good long time. You can check their inventory online and will provide good help on the phone. I have used other sail consignment shops and have no reason to suggest that they could also help you out.

·
Frozen Member
565 Posts
Replace would be this Mac 25 owners vote. We replaced our main sail this year and it changed running the boat from being a bit out of control in any real wind to being fast and fun. You can replace all the sails on a Mac 25 for less than 1K and actually get some decent sails at that. Nothing will make her sail better.

PS: And inspect that keel bolt when you get a chance. Better safe than sorry :D

·
Registered
520 Posts
I have no personal experience with Peak Sails, but suggest you research very carefully before pulling the trigger -- there are plenty of reviews threads here and on other sites. Based on what I read, I decided not to go with them, but you need to make that decision yourself (again, I have have no direct experience with them). I purchased a new main from Rolly Tasker thru National Sail in Florida -- couldn't be happier, but unless you're using a local sailmaker who will measure for you, you will need to be comfortable taking measurements.

·
islander bahama 24
1,842 Posts
You are on the wrong coast in Seattle there is a guy on craigslist here selling a full set for Mac 25 main and 2 head sails for 300 for the whole lot. They look to be in good shape I'm sure you could talk to Alex w and if you ask real nice he would evaluate them for you they are in his neighborhood. http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/boa/4603127839.html

·
no longer reading SailNet
2,309 Posts
You are on the wrong coast in Seattle there is a guy on craigslist here selling a full set for Mac 25 main and 2 head sails for 300 for the whole lot. They look to be in good shape I'm sure you could talk to Alex w and if you ask real nice he would evaluate them for you they are in his neighborhood. Clean SAILS for 25 ft Sailboat - ALL $300
Marysville is quite a haul for me!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Absolutely check Craigslist. There should be plenty to choose from in Florida. Just measure your Headstay (luff). Remember if the size is close, sails can be re-cut. Check with a local loft on prices. Avoid the biggies like Quantum, North, UK. Great producers to be sure but very pricy.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts