SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Sail shaped ship???

1K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  capta 
#1 ·
Given the history of the Golden Ray I remain highly skeptical.

Hull shaped like a sail.

Good idea?

#3 ·
Interesting - in the way that rotor-driven ships are interesting. They're going to beat to windward and work the angles for tacking downwind too? Imagine a 1000' LPG tanker suddenly tacking or jibing in front of you!

Trying to reduce wind resistance by going deeper in the water increases hydrodynamic drag. That's like the difference you feel in hanging your feet over the windward side, hiking, and dragging your feet in the water over the leeward side, to cool off. Which slows the boat more? It's surprising that they're not anticipating using LPG for the auxiliary engine's fuel - they're going to have plenty of it available.

#4 ·
I think it is fascinating how the industry and artists fail to consider the actual underwater body of these ships in their initial adverts. The vessel below rolled over in a channel, in calm weather without sails or, as far as I've been able to determine, and reason. And this is the base for the design of a wind powered vessel? Cray cray.

#6 ·
The car carrier that rolled over off of St.Simon's Island (near Brunswick, SC) apparently had a fire on board, and the pilot steered it into a sandbar alongside the channel. The top-heavy ship hit the sand and it flipped the boat over on its side. After trapped crew were removed, they've spent the months since slicing the ship into sections with a huge cutting chain, and removing them.

This post has been deleted
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.