SailNet Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The sail Slugs have always seemed a little loose on my Lugger Voyager and would get twisted sometimes and stick a bit and occationally pull right out of the slot. They are 5/8" slugs so I tried using some 3/4 " ones I had from an old boat but these were too big to fit in the slot. I started lubricating them last year which helped but a month ago I was out in a pretty significant wind (35knts+) and a couple of slugs pulled out of the slot and then the rest either pulled out or most just snapped off. Well I figured maybe they were a little worn so ordered new 5/8" slugs and replaced them all. Unfortunately they still are loose and would occationaly come out. Today I was out in a 20-25 knt wind and again all the slugs pulled out. The problem seems to be that 5/8" is too small and 3/4" is too big yet I haven't been able to find anything in between. Can anyone tell me where I could find something in between or another way of addressing this problem.

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
I suspect the mast slot is worn. Two possible solutions come to mind. File down some of the larger slugs so they will fit. Or mount a track on the mast and change the slugs to match.

·
Old as Dirt!
3,488 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
"Metal Mast" slides have different dimensions than the standard nylon or plastic slides. I had a similar problem until I replaced the 3/4" slides with metal mast #8 slides which are 0.9" wide. There is also a metal mast #6 slide available which may have the correct dimension for your mast. Metal mast slides are available from Sailmaker's Supply.

Chuck

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds like a new track, and probably the strong system might be needed. I'd rather save money and just get slides that fit but I haven't been able to find any listed online. I searched Sail makers Supply but they don't seem to have any 5/8" listed in metal. I may just have to make due with what I have for now and not go out in big winds until I can afford a new track. Anyone have any sugestions on where I can get 5/8" flat metal slugs?

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
i put a strong track on last winter. it is great! release the halyard and the sail just drops. so easy to raise the sail anyone can do it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
"Metal Mast" does not mean the slides are metal. It means the slides are made for the "Metal Mast" track. They come in 2 sizes - #6 and #8. They also come in delrin or bronze. Check Sailmaker's Supply again. I suggest that you order a few #6 delrin slides and try them. They are listed as being 3/4" slides, but they might be smaller than that.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'll check out the #6 delrin slides as well as consider the strong system. Does anyone know a Canadian Supplier for the strong system?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well I called Sailmakers Supply and they informed me the number 6 Delrin slides are a full .75" which is too big. I need something between .64" and .7" which they don't carry. They told me that there are other sizes especially metric sizes but wern't any help in directing me to t
where I could get anything. Still looking for suggestions on where I might find something.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.