SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm sure I would have received different advice had I joined this site before I bought, but...

I have a 1974 San Juan 24. I've sailed it hard for 3 years, but now it has a rotten hull that can't be fixed- the keel is WOBBLY. How do I retire it? I don't have a lot of extra money, it is kept in a marina, but I will not scuttle it. Can I sell it for the lead keel? I am in Vancouver, Canada, and am trying to do the right thing at an emotional time :(

·
Midwest Puddle Pirate
2,160 Posts
This may not be what you want to hear, but I've heard that a chainsaw is a very effective tool for making a large piece of plastic into smaller pieces to be hauled off. You can also recover the lead to be recycled this way.

If you choose this method, be sure to cover up. One of those white painters suits, sealed eye protection, and a respirator is mandatory.

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
Talk to your Canadian equivalent of the Coast Guard. They sometimes are looking for craft they sink for barrier reef, dive points etc... otherwise put an ad up on criagslist for an estimate to remove it and take it to a junkyard...

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Gadfly:

Welcome to Sailnet. Sorry it comes at such a bad time for you and your boat.

I am grateful that you are going to do the right thing. I have no technical information, but you have my sympathy.

David

·
Registered
725 Posts
give it away. Let some one else handle it.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I'm sure I would have received different advice had I joined this site before I bought, but...

I have a 1974 San Juan 24. I've sailed it hard for 3 years, but now it has a rotten hull that can't be fixed- the keel is WOBBLY. How do I retire it? I don't have a lot of extra money, it is kept in a marina, but I will not scuttle it. Can I sell it for the lead keel? I am in Vancouver, Canada, and am trying to do the right thing at an emotional time :(
Have never seen anyhing that can not be fixed,
That you can not afford to fix or is just a sinkhole...hats off and it sucks.

Try the donation sights and see what happens.Know a man on the US side that spent a summer repairing a can not be fixed and is still loving it.Salvation Army for him...

Best of Luck
Mark

·
Registered
88 Posts
I'd try putting it up for free on Craigslist. It might be worth it to someone with a project boat to haul it away if it came with hardware/parts, mast/rigging which was of use to them.

I live in Vancouver too - any time I list something for free in the boats section, the phone starts ringing almost immediately.

Good luck.

·
Tartan 37C
501 Posts
Donate it to a charity or a good cause like Sea Scouts. Here in the US you'd be able to write it off on taxes, but don't know about Canada's tax laws. They can make the determination as to either repair it or to call a junk hauler.

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
I think it is pretty low to donate a boat that is in such troubled shape to a charity. If the boat is in such bad shape and they have to dispose of it, it will end up costing the charity money as a general rule.... :hothead

Donate it to a charity or a good cause like Sea Scouts. Here in the US you'd be able to write it off on taxes, but don't know about Canada's tax laws. They can make the determination as to either repair it or to call a junk hauler.

·
Roadkillibus Texanis
1,602 Posts
I hated to see my old Ocean racer go . . . . . . . but a chain saw helped create a really cool bar for the back yard. You can have the bow come out of the wall like I did . . . . . . . or as a friend suggested to me too late . . . . . . . cut it long ways bow to stern for a really cool long bar. I had the stern mounted on the opposite patio wall and when you opened the lazarette . . . . . . . built in ice chest! I transferred some cleats and other parts to the new boat . . . Sort of a spirit living on thing.

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
That's likely the retail price, not what you'd be paid for selling scrap lead to a dealer. Also, it is probably the TL price, rather than the LTL price. In reality, you'll probably get more like $.22 per lb.

Just Googled scrap lead...... .4912 cents(US) per lb.

Phil

·
Registered
106 Posts
That's likely the retail price, not what you'd be paid for selling scrap lead to a dealer. Also, it is probably the TL price, rather than the LTL price. In reality, you'll probably get more like $.22 per lb.
S.D.
Thought you were barking up the wrong tree at .22/lb.Just checked a local scrap yard and he said you were way wrong!!!
It's ten cents a pound today and thats Canadian!!!
I stand corrected.

Phil (pobody's nerfect):rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts