SailNet Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am now in the market for new ventilation hatches for my Hunter - its a 37 cutter. At a boatshow somewhere I saw a hatch that was reversible - it could open up either facing forward or aft. I am looking for this and cant find it anywhere despite half googling myself to death.

Does anyone know where a person could buy a reversible hatch? The one I saw had dogs on bot sides of the frame - all you did was switch the connecting point to forward or aft.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
360 Posts
GREETINGS EARTHLING; Necissity is the mother of invention sesign one if you do not find it there is a need for all then register it and sell it; AS ALWAYS GO SAFE

·
Lookin' for an excuse ...
156 Posts
captflood:912003 said:
GREETINGS EARTHLING; Necissity is the mother of invention sesign one if you do not find it there is a need for all then register it and sell it; AS ALWAYS GO SAFE
Huh?

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Goiot makes (made?) a reversible hatch with a very clever open hinge system that allows you to open either end. I have 3 on my boat. They are very beefy and have given flawless service for decades. I'm not sure if they still make them though.

·
Marine Manufacturer
5 Posts
atkins and Hoyle makes a reversible hatch. They are on many older C&Cs.
Hello,

Brian Atkins, Atkins & Hoyle Ltd. We are known for building a strong, high quality reversible hatch if you are still looking. The various sizes can be found on our website (atkinshoyle.com). Let us know if we can help you in way find a hatch which will serve your purpose.

·
Registered
497 Posts
My midship hatch, has two pair of hinges with easily removable/swapable hinge pins, just pull the pins and swap then to the other end to. Hatch can open facing for or aft. When I built the new deck hatch I put it on sliders like a companionway hatch (so it could be open under a tender in a rainstorm...this can also switch out to be hinges (for or aft). Hatches are all beefy wood (flat top w/1/2" clear lexan on foredeck, peaked w/3/8" tinted acrylic fore midship hatch). With deck hatch (22'x22" ) and midship hatch (24"x34") the two make nice air scoops.
The first major project on my boat was moving the midship hatch to the fordeck and replaceing it with the peaked (only 3" more headroom, but it made a big differance to me)
One of the first major lessons I learned after getting my boat was "Yes you can make changes to the boat...to make it *your* boat"....secound thing I learned was "There is a distinct line between when a boat becomes a home"

1 - 9 of 9 Posts